Not everyone should try home schooling

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by michelle, Dec 5, 2009.

1. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I am SO thankful that this is the last year I will have to deal with public school :hurray:

2. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

I have several close friends who home school and I have no problems with them doing so. None what so ever. It's not for me and if I could which I can't afford to stay at home with my child I still wouldn't home school her. You can give me all the status or what ever you like to show me..it's just how I feel. My niece was home schooled for 5 years and did much better when she went to a regular school. Once she was in school it took her 2 years to really socialize with the other kids, and she did have co-op ect and all those other activities they do. It's just different for her I guess..
    but I have been to birthday party's with my child and even kids come to hers(my DD) both from her school and home school kids, and I can really see the difference in the social behavior. How they interact with others.
    IMO, I don't push this on others and I'm not saying one is better then the other, but so many home school parents (not all) bad mouth Schools saying how bad they are ect. They aren't all bad and the teachers aren't all bad. I guess my DD has been lucky to have such great teachers that she works well and answers any questions I may have. Be lucky that you can stay at home with your children, but don't shun he rest of us that can't do that and our kids are in a regular school. My daughter is on the honor roll and I'm very proud of her..there is nothing wrong with her reading, math ect..she test great! oh and one of her best friends is home schooled..nothing wrong with it..just not for us. Moving on..

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Stats

http://home-school.lovetoknow.com/Statistics_on_Homeschooling_in_the_United_States

Retrieved from "http://home-school.lovetoknow.com/Statistics_on_Homeschooling_in_the_United_States"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. JC-native

JC-native Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  5. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Great questions Jester! When I get time I'll share my thoughts on the others you posted. As far as cost, homeschooling is much less expensive than private school. Over the summer I looked at the cost of several private schools in the area. To put my two children at Wake Christian it would be around $12,000 a year. North Raleigh Christian would be more like $16,000+. The cost to homeschool varies by curriculum, class choices, etc... However I don't know anyone who pays anywhere close to $6,000-$8,000+ per child, per year to homeschool.

6. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Don't you get some tax credits also for home schooling?

7. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

NO! We cannot deduct any homeschool expenses.

8. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

http://www.hslda.org/docs/news/washingtontimes/200912140.asp