Organ Donor?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Dec 9, 2009.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Since it's the Season of giving I was wondering if there were any Organ Donors on 4042?

2. ARodrigues

ARodrigues Well-Known Member

Although I haven't done it yet, I am willing to as shown by the little heart on my driver's license!

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

me too.

I have donated bone marrow too, 4 times.

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

What am I going to do with it?

Give the gift of life!

5. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

I am! I have let all of my family know that I am donating everything BUT my eyes. And actually here recently I have thought about donating my body to science as a cadaver...just a passing thought though.

I ain't quite done using my innards just yet so the recipients will have to wait a while for my goods. :lol:

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Yep, willing to be parted out when the time comes. I am also on the bone marrow donor registry. 8)

7. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

bone marrow donor too? Interesting! postmortem?

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

No, LOL. You can donate that while you are still alive and kicking. KB said she's done it earlier in the thread. :hurray:

http://www.marrow.org/index.html

9. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I'm an organ donor and I would be interested in learning more about donating bone marrow. . . tell me about it KB (and kudos to you for donating 4 times :hurray:).

10. Breezy18

Breezy18 Well-Known Member

YES! I am a donor!

I am donating all of me when I pass away! I wish I could donate organs now, but I have to be careful since I may need them myself one day when I am still alive. If I was single with no kids I would say take whatever you can now, but my little one needs his mama!

My sister's boyfriend has been on the list for quite some time to receive a kidney. It is sad because he is my age (36) and goes to dialysis three times a week for several hours at a time

11. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

One of my kidneys is not 100% functional,otherwise I would certainly consider donating one.

12. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

what you want to know? I donated to my sister. I was her perfect match. She had leukemia.

13. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Synchronicity

My son just asked to see my drivers' license last night - he is taking drivers' ed. I told him just what Hugh said "I'll be dead - what will I need them for?"

14. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

I am listed as a donor on my drivers license, whatever is needed. Not going to need it when I am dead and gone.

15. JellyBean

JellyBean Well-Known Member

I am!! :hurray:

16. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

Can one donate bone marrow or anything else that can be used (while I am still living), if one is anemic? I know I really can't donate blood because of this but didn't know about anything else.

17. rrgreennc

rrgreennc Well-Known Member

For information about bone marrow donation, check out http://www.marrow.org. If you are eligible, they will need a blood sample while will be tested and the results stored in their registry. When a patient needs bone marrow, their type information will be matched against the registry. If you match, you will be contacted and further screening may be needed. At that time, you can still choose not to donate. I did this through a Red Cross blood drive many years ago - not sure if they still do it. Bone marrow typing is much more specific that just blood type, so matches are still difficult to come by for patients.

18. lissa27504

lissa27504 Well-Known Member

I will be when something is needed---if my kids need something they can have it, otherwise probably have to wait until I'm gone! It's listed on my license and all necessary people know that's what I want.

My grandmother passed away this summer and donated her body to science....it's a great thing to do but I don't think I can do that. I have a hard time thinking of her that way even though it's just her body and it's not who she was!!!! Anyone that wants to donate their body that's awesome---just be 200% sure all details are taken care of.

19. lori-beth

lori-beth Well-Known Member

I will donate my organs too, but I told my husband to just be sure I'm really,really dead before they take em.
    I'm also on the bone marrow registry.

20. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I just can't help but have that .0000001% doubt that if I am hanging on to life and the doctor has a patient that matches me and needs an organ . . .

Or what if the ambulance driver gets a bonus for every donor he lets slip into a coma?

I'm SURE this has happened at some point. Much crazier things have been done in this world.