Organ Donor?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Dec 9, 2009.

1. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I am, but please wait until I'm dead BUT before I'm creamated. :mrgreen:

2. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Well I'm out as a bone marrow donor because I weigh too much. :oops:

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Yes, cremation! Then the people you love can carry you in their pockets and throw handfuls of you at people you hate. You'll totally have the last word!

PS - I gave your message to Apex today. I got mud all over my jeans and my newish shoes. Grrr.

4. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

That's a great idea, Cleo. Smear my ashes into someone's new white carpet :lol: That'll teach them to mess with me!

5. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Yeah - and that freshly-dusted, intricately carved armoire? FLING!!!

6. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I am also a register organ donor...have been for about 10 yrs. My bro was diagnosed with a rare kidney disease about 5 yrs ago. He is awaiting a transplant. I offered one of mine but I am not a candidate due to previous surgeries. I would so love to help him.

7. rntobe

rntobe Well-Known Member

Yep, been an organ donor for quite awhile. I started to rethink a few months ago when I had 2 pts that had received kidneys. One was drinking and doing illegal drugs and the other was not taking his meds. I had a stern conversation with both of them, letting them know that they should cherish their gift because someone died for it. One started crying, the other could have cared less.
    But since then I have met several people that truely cherish their organs everyday and think of where they came from.

8. cvfdcaptain

cvfdcaptain Well-Known Member

yep!!!

been an organ donor since i was 16,, or at least when they started asking me at the DMV!!

9. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I'm curious - why not your eyes?
    There are many parts of the eye that can be used. My dd had to have a cornea transplant about 2 yrs ago - we're very thankful to her organ donor.

10. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Actually, if we can act like adults and not condemn or try and proselytize the individual, I am curious why someone might choose not to donate.

I have heard that some folks will not do it for religious reasons, and I can respect that, I can also understand someone with a bad disease thinking they can't. What are some of the other reasons?

11. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Possibly my dd's sr proj last yr had something to do with this being talked about in drivers ed (at West)! :hurray:

Since she had been an organ recipiant, she wanted to do her project about the importance of being a donor. Part of her project was presenting/teaching this in the DE classes last yr. so the students would be educated about making this decision when they went to get their drivers license. To our knowledge, prior to her doing this, it wasn't even mentioned as a part of DE, at least not at West.

12. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

WOW! ..so many real (..or at least potential!) heroes here! KUDOS to all!

I regularly donate blood and am signed up as an organ donor, but all the bone marrow donors make me feel like I could (...and should) do more...that takes REAL guts.

As far as organ donation is concerned (...post mortem, preferably!), if my organs go to some no account, dirtbag, lowlife, maybe he/she is the no account, dirtbag, lowlife that makes a difference in someone else's life...shoot, I won't need 'em anymore!

13. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Wow...that is an awesome thing for her to do! Teens listen to other teens so much better than parents or teachers. I am sure she impacted many of them to become donors.
    My son took DE at Clayton this past summer and they had a guy come in and talk about his experience receiving an organ donation. It must have been powerful because I got a call at work that DS had passed out during the presentation and hit his head on the floor! He has the heart on his permit (and I do on my DL), but he doesn't like to talk about it much!:jester:

14. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I LIKE IT!!!! :twisted:

THanks for giving Ape...:ack: x my message. You're a true friend. :cheers: :lol:

15. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I feel the same way....which is why it's NOT listed on my drivers license, but my DH knows he can donate my organs, only if he's 4000% sure I'm dead....

But, on another note, I ordered a bone marrow kit....I'll be glad to join that registry.

16. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

I feel the same way too.

17. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Now if I can get all you guys to DONATE BLOOD next Monday @ Oakland Presby. Church.

BLOOD is needed all the time but Especially NOW - the holidays slow down giving but NOT THE NEED.

Will post the Blood Donation times... next. I know it's MONDAY afternoon/evening. Drive around BACK- look for the Red Cross Blood BUS.

I'm a donor, blood (every other month!), bone marrow & organs.

18. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I donate blood every 8 weeks! It's my duty! I can't make this blood drive Kel, I just donated 4 weeks ago!

19. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

this

20. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

I am an organ donor, But not til I'm dead! Unless it's for my child.