Teacher gifts?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bystander, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Isn't that one of the most beautiful stories you have ever read? I have never snoped it, I don't care if it is true or not. We should all slow down and read it once in awhile. :grouphug:

2. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I agree, it is a good story, and it doesn't matter if it's true or not.

3. Soccermom81

Soccermom81 Well-Known Member

Yes a very nice story...and pass the tissues this way please.

4. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

As someone with second hand experience in this I can say that every gift is appreciated, especially when given by the child. But coffee mugs, frames, ornaments, locks of hair, etc eventually end up in the attic or in a yard sale. The gifts that are the most use and is really really appreciated even more are gift cards.

So if you have a child in 3rd grade at East Clayton feel free to give The Outback, TGIFridays..... Just kidding, but these really do seem to be the best gifts.

5. bout2bmarried

bout2bmarried Active Member

teachers are really over worked. so when you you give them a gift are you really looking for a favor to your child in return? And i have a sibling that teaches and she would rather have a note from a student than a gift from a parent.

6. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

My son is now in college so I don't need to worry about getting his teachers something, though I can honestly say I don't think I every stressed about it to begin with. Not that I don't think teachers have an important job, but that's just it - it is the career those chose and I'm sure they don't go into it thinking, oh boy, I wonder what my students are going to get me for Christmas. Years ago I was into ceramics so for his teachers, I would make Christmas ornaments, maybe some cookie bags and our son would make a card. I totally agree with the note from the student.

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Boy, that sure is a cynical way of looking at it! When you gift someone, are you looking for a favor in return? We give gifts for the teachers in appreciation for what they are doing, not because we expect anything from them other than doing their job.

Wow! I never thought giving a teacher a small token could be interpreted as some sort of bribe. What a world we live in. :?

8. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Thank you KDC. I wanted to say the same, but you said it better (and nicer) than I would have.

9. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

How about a gift certificate to Cold Stone Creamery or Goodberrys? You dont have to spend a fortune and they can still get something good without having to dip into their own pockets. If you give an Applebee or other restaurant certificate, you almost feel like it has to be at least $25.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I am just bumfuzzled that anyone could construe gifts from children in that way. :cry:

11. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

(One where bribes happen everyday - did ya see the news cast about the latest governmental pork report) My thought is a small token is acceptable but for some reason I thought I read some suggestions as gift certificates - Outback for one, which too me is a little more than a "token".

Here's something from my personal experience - having nothing to do with teachers but it does gifting. Worked for a very large law firm in Raleigh who represented major corporations. Every year, we would send our clients gifts. The staff's thought was won't our clients who are paying hourly rates anywhere from $200/hour to $415/hour think of it as a bribe. Throughout the year, the firm hosted parties for the clients, gave them very expensive gifts for accomplishments and showered them with tickets to various ball/hockey games and theater tickets (and for those wondering, staff was not getting any more than a 2-3% raise, if at all). This was all done to keep them as our client, so yeah - we do live in a world of bribes - Again, please don't confuse my making that statement about bribes as one that I would apply to teachers as I did not - just merely wanted to point out that gifting can be used as a way of bribing

12. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

The best gift my daughter gave was to her 1st grade teacher (she is in 4th now) and that teacher and her reading teacher did so much for her.
    She wrote and thank you note for helping her learn to read for the both of them..I got some frames from the dollar store and the glass that came in them I had the note engraved onto the glass, you use a dark back ground in the frame and what she wrote shows up. Every yr we go and see them at the school, when the school year starts and both of them still have them in their rooms for all to see. It was very personal, and it touched their hearts and my daughters.
    I have yet to do another one like that..it is up to DD if she wants it done.

(Thank god I have a family member that has a engraver..hehe).
    Sheri

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Well, I guess I will consider myself and my son blessed by teachers who are apparently in the profession for the right reasons and not looking for some hidden meaning to whatever gift children hand over with their chubby little hands and bright shining eyes. This thread has made me very sad for the state of the world today.

14. lightningmcqueen

lightningmcqueen Well-Known Member

My son's teacher has asked that in lieu of personal gifts to donate things to the classroom that would otherwise come out of her pocket. She gave a bunch of ideas. I plan on putting a basket of stuff together. As a former teacher I can tell you that I appreciated things that went right back to the classroom more than the personal stuff.

15. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

:iagree: I don't think a reasonable person would see a card or note with a few treats or a small gift in a bag as a bribe. It is appreciation for the teacher that my kid is trying to convey. When I give a gift card, it is at the END of the school year on the last day. Teachers work hard and are grossly underpaid. If I choose to give a gift card at the end of the year after all is said and done, then it is because I feel it is well-deserved. Can't see why anyone would have an issue with that.

16. blessed2adopt2

blessed2adopt2 Well-Known Member

As a teacher, I would like...

Supplies for my classroom. We spend so much of our own money on basic classroom supplies.

Suggestions: Look at your child's teacher's web page. Some always ask for classroom supplies.

We can always use:
    Hand Sanitizer, Kleenex, Dry Erase Markers, books for the classroom (be sure to ask the teacher what they want), gift cards to not only places like Dairy Queen, Starbucks, etc, but also Stone's Education store (look it up on the web, Stones Education Store) or Teach Me. They are both in Raleigh/Cary area.

We can always use colored paper, crayons, pencils, etc.

Don't sweat it. A card from your child in their hand writing with a nice message from them means a great deal!

17. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Just out of curiosity.............do you think folks are trying to bribe or get some sort of favor from you if they give you a gift for/from their child? I still can't get past that particular mind set........just never have run across that before.

18. blessed2adopt2

blessed2adopt2 Well-Known Member

No

No.

19. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

We've never interpreted gifts from students or their families as anything other than an expression of their gratitude and well wishes.

I will say that the student made gifts are as memorable as the expensive ones. Even the artwork I receive from the students is something that I treasure, for I know that they are sincere in their giving.

Blessed knows.

I would submit that if a parent feels compelled to offer something, time in the classroom, at least in the lower grades is a much welcomed gift. Classroom supplies are welcomed, as well. Of course, with our schedules, gift certificates are nice. Yet, if we had a choice, we'd ask that you help your student to learn, and supplement what we try to do during their school day. If you can impart to them a hunger to learn more, you have given a gift for life, which we appreciate.

As for the poor manners of the gift recipient, there is no excuse. That's just poor form.