Illegal Immigrants in the community colleges

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Ima Sheltie, Dec 18, 2009.

1. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

Even Sampson?

2. LETSGOEERS!!!

LETSGOEERS!!! Well-Known Member

Only 91.4 from Mexico...silly

http:// www.dhs.gov/immigrationstatistics

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Oh, is that the racial profiling everybody is talking about? Since they are 91.4% of the illegal population, we associate illegal with hispanic? I'm being serious here. How do we retrain our brains, ever since I was a child one method of learning was word association.

4. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

If it looks like a duck, and it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

So that means if they look Hispanic they are illegal?

6. ARodrigues

ARodrigues Well-Known Member

I'm married to a once-illegal immigrant. He's Brazilian.

7. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

no, that means if they're illegal, 91.4 times out of 100 they're hispanic. stating a fact does not make one a racist. nice try, though...

8. ARodrigues

I would say that's only accurate around here. If you were to venture out of Johnston County and go North, you would find that they are mostly Asian.

9. dangerboy

and you would be wrong. did you miss the link a few posts ago? it's a federal gov't link, not an nc link. and don't give me that "venture out of johnston county" crap like we're all a buncha backwoods hicks disconnected from contemporary reality...

http://www.dhs.gov/files/statistics/immigration.shtm

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Where did anyone say that?

11. ARodrigues

Sorry, I'm missing where it shows illegal immigrants..Can you point it out?

12. dangerboy

13. ARodrigues

So of 791, 568 apprehensions, 693,592 were Mexican. Of that 791,568, Border Patrol grabbed 723,840. So that is the number of people then who were either turned back at the Mexican border, or given an expedited removal (but who did not make it in). That really doesn't tell alot about the statistics of currently illegal aliens. I think you are forgetting about the vast number of currently illegal aliens who entered legally and never went home.

14. ARodrigues

I also think these statistics may be off since anyone from South America caught crossing the border reports to be Mexican so that they will be put off in Mexico and try again instead of being flown to Guatemala, Brazil, Honduras, or somewhere else.

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

And? Does it make the illegals any less illegal regardless of how they originally came into the country or where they came from? I personally don't care what country they came from. Is it some sort of reverse discrimination? Because I don't see any difference. :?:

16. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

If they're here illegally, they should be sent back, regardless of where they're from. Seems the government has conveniently forgotten the meaning of the word "illegal". Hint, it does NOT mean "undocumented". :banghead::banghead:

17. ARodrigues

By the way, It wasn't my point to debate things..I probably have the same views that alot of you do with regard to immigration. But I can also tell you that I doubt anyone on this board can speak more personally of it that I can. I'm an American citizen as well. I'm educated, responsible, a mother. My husband is also educated and the best father I could want for our son. He's an immigrant. He's brown. In fact, because of the large Mexican community here, almost all Americans assume that he is Mexican and will attempt the few Spanish words they know before they know whether he speaks English or not. He's too nice so he just smiles. Immigration doesn't work on either side. It isn't working for any of us on either side.

I don't agree with amnesty or any sort of blanket program that allows people to stay here while many other are fighting to get in legally. I also don't believe in punishing juveniles who are illegal aliens through no choice of their own.

I have a close friend who married her high school sweetheart. He is from a Mexican family. He came to the U.S. through he border at 5 years of age, but doesn't remember it. He didn't find out that he was illegal until he tried to go to graduate school and finish his degree. By that time, they had been married and my friend was pregnant. They jumped through the hoops and once in Mexico for their interview, found out the details of his entrance. His mother taught him how to say in English that he was a US citizen. They let them in. A false claim to US citizenship is a permanent ban and under current law, he will never be back. So he knows his son through a webcam. He teaches English in Mexico. She is a kindergarten teacher. I'm not looking to give a sappy story, just to show that this is a system that is broken all around

18. ARodrigues

Nope, actually I was only pointing out that not all illegals are hispanic..did you see my opinion?

19. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Most folks with a grain of common sense do realize that not everyone who has brown skin is necessarily from Mexico and not everyone from Mexico has brown skin. 8)

20. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

I disagree