'Sell it for you" on ebay store?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Dec 28, 2009.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I was wondering if there might be a business around here that sells/ships your items for you on ebay around here? Either by charging you a fee or a commission?
    Thanks!

2. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

there used to be one in cary, not sure if it's still there or not. don't know of any others, although there used to be quie a few. i don't think those businesses lasted very long. hard to keep profitable stuff coming in at a high enough rate, imho. i sell quite a bit of stuff on ebay, sometimes for friends, etc., but i'd hate to have to rely on other people's items. ebay and paypal fees will eat up 20% of retail, and if you try to charge anything for your own time/profit, people start balking at the final amount that goes into their pockets. a $100 item starts putting about 60 bucks in the owner's pocket. and who can survive on maybe making $10 per hundred in sales without some serious item flow? if you had the volume, maybe. too much to leave to the chance of having to rely on people to bring you that much stuff to sell...

ok that's more answer than you wanted, isn't it?

3. AnnetteL

Not at all :)
    A friend sells barbie items on ebay,for around $3.00-$5.00 a piece,I can't see where there's much profit either after subtracting the gas money from running back and forth to the post office.

4. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I thought their was a place across from Walmart in Clayton, maybe behind the starbucks?

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are trying to unload a recently recieved sex doll!

6. AnnetteL

:lol:sorry,can't help you there.

7. Crysta

Crysta Guest

I'm not sure of any that are in the area, but I had looked into using one of these services when we moved, and the fees are hefty. Just about every place charged a commission of 33%-40% of the sale price, plus you pay the ebay fees (paypal and listing fees). They usually cover shipping. The places where you paid for the shipping charged a commission usually of around 20%-25%. Also, you don't get your check until several weeks after the item sells.

So if you're going to take the time to locate the business, drive your item there, give them information on the item, and then drive back to pick up your check (or the item if it doesn't sell), you've probably got the time to just list the item(s) yourself and hang on to more money out of pocket.

If you have a lot of stuff to sell, you could probably hire a high schooler and pay them an hourly fee for taking all of the pictures, creating the listings, and even packaging and taking the stuff to the post office.

8. shelly3

shelly3 Active Member

The Ship on Site (or something like that) place behind Starbucks closed.

9. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Oh ok, that was the place I was thinking about. Thanks for the info on that:)

10. AnnetteL

Thanks for the replies!

11. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

see what i mean?

12. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Annette - is this it?

[​IMG]

I might be interested. How much? Send me a PM. :)

13. AnnetteL

14. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Now THAT is way cool, but out of my price range. Good Luck!

15. AnnetteL

Just pm'd you.