New Year's superstitions

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by firefly69, Jan 1, 2010.

1. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

2. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Got the black eyed peas cooking now!!

3. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Sauerkraut ;)

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Waking up

5. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

We had black eyed peas with chicken legs and tater salad.

6. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

black-eyed peas and collards. usually with ham biscuits. my mother in law, who is a yankee, says "but you're poor and unlucky", and i say "yeah, but think of how bad it would be if i didn't eat the collards and black-eyed peas"...

7. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

My Grandma always cooked up a New Year's Day dinner with the greens, pot liquor and cornbread and such. I guess the really good cookin' went away when she did...I miss her biscuits. mmm mmm mmm They'd beat the pants off of Bojangles any day of the week!

8. bystander

bystander Well-Known Member

My grandmother was the queen of superstitions!
    In addition to those previously mentioned, she believed that it was bad luck if a female was your first visitor in the New Year. Therefore, religiously our cousin next door ( male ) paid her a visit early on New Year's Day. He never visited any other time of the year but on New Year's morning, he'd come in and sit down and visit with her. Her mind rested easy after he'd made his visit. Also she believed that whatever you did on New Year's Day - you'd be doing the rest of the year. If that is true, guess I'll be doing laundry all year long!
    She had tons of superstitions that she really believed in and lived by. Seems a little funny now but that is just how she was.

9. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Black eye peas, collards, sweet potatoes (for gold) and bacon.
    No washing clothes on New Years Day and no sweeping the floor on NYD

10. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

Anyone know a local restaurant that will be serving black eyed peas tomorrow, January 1?

11. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

For me its going over to Waffle House and having a waffle with a double side order of hash browns (smothered and covered), cup of coffee, glass of tomato juice, glass of water. Then heading out to see a movie.

So tomorrow's movie to be seen will be TinTin. Looks kind of campy but I remember watching the cartoon as a kid back in the 60's

12. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

Well I can answer my own question. McCalls website has following posted. Happy New Year!
    ===========================

Welcome 2012!!

We hope you have a safe and festive New Year!!!

Looking for fresh collards and black eye peas for New Years? Give us a call, we have all you need!!!

13. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Got my collards, sweet potatoes, black eyed peas, smoked baby back ribs, cornbread, and sweet tea ready to cook and enjoy tomorrow! :cheers:

Working on the house cleaning and laundry today. :neutral:

Hope everyone has a wonderful, safe, happy, healthy, WONDERFUL New Year!!! I am SO looking forward to 2012!!!!! :hurray:

14. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I always have a party on New Year's Day, and that is exactly what I do all year long, lol.. Party............

15. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Have my black-eyed peas soaking as we speak and the collards in the fridge. Lots of ham will be in the 2 of them and I'll make some cornbread. Yum!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  16. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

who serves Black Eyed Peas on NYD?

Last year Cracker Barrel served all the traditional NYD food, but they ran out of BE peas early in the afternoon and did not have any at the dinner meal...