Thai restaurant recommendations

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by KDsGrandma, Jan 5, 2010.

1. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Where's a good place around here for Thai food?

2. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

Try the animal shelter and cut out the middle man.

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

The Mrs is not a Thai fan but I would like to know of some also, on the rare occasion I go to lunch in Clayton's area.

4. Quincy8Boy

Quincy8Boy Well-Known Member

I don't know of any around here, but I highly recommend Thai Lanna on 55 just south of 40 in Durham.

I usually make my own now. You can buy curry paste and coconut milk at Lowe's Foods. Hell, that sounds good for dinner. I bought some coconut milke just in case I get a craving.

Do not let it boil. I broke my curry last time as I just did to my she crab soup last night. Looked like a "cement mixer" shot.

5. ARodrigues

ARodrigues Well-Known Member

Tell me more about the she crab soup...I used to go to a place for lunch just for this in Florida..Is it difficult to make?

6. KDsGrandma

It doesn't have to be Clayton, Raleigh or Cary would be fine.

7. ARodrigues

ARodrigues Well-Known Member

I always go past Thaiphoon in Raleigh. I haven't stopped, but you could check reviews online. Thai and Indian foods are about the only type that I'm not crazy about.

8. Neighborhood MoM

Neighborhood MoM Well-Known Member

Thai Restaurant in Cary

I am a Thai food fan also. We found a very nice Thai restaurant in Cary. It is in the old shopping center . The restaurant used to be Courtneys before. The name of Thai Food
    restraunant is Tom Yum. It is right in front of Ollies. I love the lunch menu and the presentation of the food is really super. We have enjoyed the restraunant as well as the hospitality and cleanliness and the food is super.Pricing is also good.

9. thewildmom

thewildmom Well-Known Member

Thaiphoon is good. I thought it was a little pricey for lunch, but the food was good. I also second Thai Lanna in Durham as being good. But I think the best Thai food I have had in this area is Thai Villa (or something like that!) in South Hills. It has been there for years, but the food is great!

10. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

11. Quincy8Boy

Quincy8Boy Well-Known Member

Thai Villa. mmmm. Wife's working late. Need to go to Northern Tool. Perfect combination.

She Crab soup: I didn't make it. Came out of a can. Just add milk.

I've made lobster and oyster bisque from scratch and they were miles above anything out of a can. The oyster bisque was pretty involved for soup, but worth it.

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Had a great Thai buffet today at the King & I Restaurant on 3rd street in Milwaukee today, unfortunately I got an expired meter parking ticket for parking my car in a spot without a parking meter :x

13. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

blame bush

14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I did! :mrgreen:

15. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

We used to eat at a resturant the catered to the Thai embassy, so we are so spoiled. Our best picks for Thai food here are:
    Thai House on Hardimont and Falls of Neuse
    Lemongrass on Litchford and Harps Mill near 540
    Lotus Leaf Cafe N. Harrison and Maynard Northwoods Plaza
    Thai House is our favorite and then Lotus Leaf, then Lemongrass. They are all very good.

16. KDsGrandma

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! Looks like we have lots of choices around here, that's a good thing.

17. KDsGrandma

We went to Tom Yum last night, and it was great. Food was good, waitstaff was courteous and friendly, and prices were quite reasonable. We'll be back. We'll also try some of the other places you all have recommended, thanks a lot!