internet cafes

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ncmom, Jan 12, 2010.

1. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Don't we already have enough of these? I'm thinking there are 2 or 3 already at 4042.

2. Karmol

Karmol Well-Known Member

yeah, these things are all over the place. It is sad to me. I wish they would outlaw them, along with the lottery.

3. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

It saddens you that people are trying to earn a living, provide a service and jobs?

Glad it is not up to you to decide who needs what, how many, and where.

4. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

How do internet cafe's work? Do you go there and pay by the hour or something like that?

5. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

ok, i am clueless on internet cafes, am i correct in assuming they are like internet gambling using real money?

6. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

No. Typically you would find them at coffee shops or a place like Cleveland Bakery or even a news stand. They would have interior and exterior seating so you could take your laptop, sit out in the sun, grab a drink, something to eat and whatnot. You pay them X number of dollars for X number of minutes. Your laptop would search out for their signal and they would supply you a password to log on with.

Business people at lunch with their laptops would use them, or anyone carrying a laptop or other wireless type devices could use the business' signal.

They would also have their own PC's there so you could use theirs if you did not have one. If you were going to the mountains, for example, and remembered that you needed to send the presentation you had been working on and it was stuck in an email, you could find the cafe', access your email through a Net email program, and send it to wherever.

Just a place to use the net.

7. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

cool, thanks for explaining

8. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

The first one listed says something about Internet Sweepstakes. That means they want to open one like the one over by Jersey Mike's where you buy the cards and get points to use to try and win money. You have to be 18 or older to enter. That's not a regular internet cafe where you can get coffee and use the Wi Fi.

I'm not saying whether they're right or wrong; I'm just pointing out the difference.

9. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

these internet cafes are going to go out of business very soon...
    the setate is cracking down on this sweepstakes bs..we all know it is gambling.

10. Karmol

Karmol Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am all for internet cafes as described for internet access, which is why I applied for a job at one. Then I found out it is called an internet cafe but is really just gambling. They get through the loopholes by making it a sweepstakes meaning there are guaranteed winners. It is still gambling in my eyes. It is a company set up to make money off of the less fortunate. The one day I worked there, helping set up desks, the owners were talking about places they could open up other locations. The discussion was directed at finding good low-income communities. I probably wouldn't have had as much of an opinion about it had I not heard their conversation. It was sickening.

11. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

12. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Looks like if I want to know what goes on in one of those places I need to hurry.