progress energy bill

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by rntobe, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

I was actually shocked that ours was not that high--I expected it to be much higher. It was $220 for about 2500 sq ft with two units.

We did have the units serviced this summer and we use a programmable thermostat downstairs so maybe that was the reason.

2. Vinalexnc

Vinalexnc Well-Known Member

Hey just wondering about something ??? We are on metering bill were we pay the same amount each month so for the entire past year we have been running a credit balance until this latest bill. Progress Enegry recalcuates our average billing in Febuary time frame and this past bill will throw our average way off. I was expecting our monthly payment to drop a little because of how well we had been doing with conserving. Now it will probably go up just because of this last bill.

Who else out there has metering billing and if so do you also get the recalcuation done now or at a different point in the year?

Because if everyone who is on metering billing gets it adjusted at the same time its interesting that we all get slammed with a higher bill right before its time to recalcuate especailly if Progress Energy didnt do an actual reading but an estimate for this past month.

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

As bad as it is for us, in our homestate of VA, Appalachian Power has implememented a 30% rate increase over the last 15 months. Yep..........30%. It's BAD! They are making some noises about restricting them, but damn, they've already done and approved it, what do you think the chances are they will go back. Slim and none!

4. Sporadic2000

Sporadic2000 Well-Known Member

Ours went from $188.78 to $292.15. :cry:

5. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

how do you know they didn't read the meters? How do I find out and make sure they are doing that. Funny I have never seen anyone here.

6. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Ours is still low due to the wood stove.
    The bedroom is never heated,got the vents closed there. The thermostat for the electric heat is set to 50 so it just about never comes on while there is a fire burning in the stove.We usually put in a couple more pieces of fire wood into the stove before going to bed and so by the morning there are still coals.

7. rushlow2004

I have a gas fireplace, never used it looked into using it and it will cost us, over 300 to get it going..not sure if it's worth it or not..

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

With the new digital ones, I am not sure they actually even come out anymore. Anyone know?

9. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

They drive around in a white pickup truck and get the readings electronically, they don't have to get out of the truck or even slow down. I see the truck come down my cul de sac, make the u-turn at the end, and drive back out, and then I get my bill in a day or two.

If you want to check the accuracy, you could check your own meter and see how it compares. The new digital ones are easy to read.

10. PowerTim

PowerTim Well-Known Member

Read electronically...

The new electronic digital meters are very accurate and read via radio telemetry every month. Bills are not estimated. The meters have small solid state transmitters that are read by the meter reading trucks that are equipped with scanners. The chance of human error is removed. The average temperature during the billing cycle was around 38 degrees. This was unusually low, and electricity usage records was very high during this period. My bill was over 300.00 this time. I didn't like it, but I expected it.

11. GarnerHome

GarnerHome Well-Known Member

Well, we got ours too, and it went from 200 to 400. YIKES. I came here to post a question about an energy audit . . . I did notice our emergency heating coils were on once, and therefore thought I might need to replace the downstairs HP. I guess we are not the only ones, so perhaps the old unit is fine.

BUT, I'm still going to post about the energy audit. Our Bedroom is COLD, COLD, COLD. Other side of the house is fine, but we are 10 degrees lower in our bedroom/bathroom on the back of the house. If I'm paying 400 for heat, I don't want to be an icicle at night.

12. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Same here, as long as I am working and making money, I want to be comfortable in my home. Thank the Good Lord I could afford my bill even though I still think the Energy Company is messing up somewhere:(

13. steelie

steelie Well-Known Member

Al Gore and global warming...combined with his new BFF Hobama

14. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

They're due to read ours on Wednesday. Last month was $161. I'm thinking probably around $275 this month. I can hardly wait...NOT!

15. jjganny

jjganny Well-Known Member

My bill went from $65 to $125 but then we have our LP gas bill. August we filled up for $1.59 per gallon, December $2.09, & this week $2.59. Yikes. But we only had our Christmas tree lit for maybe 15-20 hours all season & no outside lights. I use an electric blanket & only wash & dry about 3 loads per week since only DH & myself.

16. rushlow2004

I thought of that yesterday, but I want to find out when they read it and do it like that, but really I know our unit and the compressor has to be replaced. Still waiting on landlord-friend to fix the darn thing. I think this will make or break our friendship if she doesn't get on the ball with it.

17. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Ours went from $151 to $261. :banghead:

18. smiles

smiles Well-Known Member

Ours is doubled almost to the exact cent...we did have Christmas lights (all but the tree are LEDs, and they were on a timer so only on about 3-1/2 hours each day).

19. LansingDr

LansingDr Well-Known Member

We went from $98 to $179. I try to keep the heat set at 67 but my roommates get up in the night and move it. Time to install an alarm or something that gives them a nice shock if they touch the thermostat. HAHA

20. LETSGOEERS!!!

LETSGOEERS!!! Well-Known Member

My home is 3200 square ft. The bill was $444 this month. Last Month was $236. I have the temperatures programmed to heat at 71 in the evenings and 65 during the days while gone. This last month we had the lowest average temperature since I lived in my home (39F). It did not help that the billing cycle was 34 days. I am now going to start leaving my heat on 68 while home and 62 while away.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010