Leno vs. O'Brien

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Jester, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Is Leno a behind-the-scenes bully or is O'Brien being a crybaby? What say you? I rarely watch any of them, but I think Conan is getting the short end of the stick. Of course, none of these guys are going to financially hurt. I wonder how this will affect Leno's ratings in the long-term. Personally, only one of the late night guys I find remotely funny and that is Craig Ferguson. He's got good writers and delivers his humor with perfect timing.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I've always prefered Leno to Conan or Letterman. I don't "get" Conan most of the time (I "get" his jokes, he's just not funny to me). Letterman is just a cranky old pain in the butt who isn't funny either. I like Ferguson as well though, wouldn't mind him being on earlier.

3. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

I am on "Team Conan"...I do like both, but what NBC is doing to Conan is wrong in my opinion. Jimmy Kimmel put it best when he asked Leno why doesn't he just step down? and that he was being selfish. Leno did a "10 at 10" segment with Kimmel the other night...and I agree about Craig Ferguson - he is a RIOT! Especially when he does opening songs on his show, like broadway productions!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Saw both of them this week, Leno the first time since his first week and the O'Brien.

Leno still sucked (Has he ever been funny) and the other just looked sad.

5. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

I agree. I personally don't prefer either.

6. nevilock

nevilock Well-Known Member

7. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

I agree 100%! Put Craig on at 10, he is a riot!

8. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Ferguson rocks!
    Letterman is occassionally acceptable.
    Conan is about the same as Letterman.
    Leno is for old fogies...and I've over the half century mark and think he's a waste.

I think that Conan did get the short end of the stick. Yet, if reports are correct that he's getting about 30 mil to walk, my sympathy for him wanes to slightly above zero.

9. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Actually, Conan might be better off professionally ditching 'Tonight' for another show or network. I think you might have something about Leno being for "old fogies" or perhaps more correct would be to say that the Tonight Show is for those that wax nostalgic for the days of Johnny Carson and Leno has been essentially typecasted as Johnny's replacement and he can't win in the 10 PM slot. He'll eventually lose viewership at any time slot and the Tonight Show will eventually wither on the vine.

CBS probably has the best lineup right now for the late-night talk show. Letterman has his following and it seems by the consensus on here, that Craig Ferguson is popular and likely Letterman's heir unless CBS execs are stupid.

Conan probably needs to go to cable for awhile. ABC isn't interested in him since they are content with Nightline and Letterman is going to hang around for awhile.

10. freedman68

freedman68 Guest

Conan!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

conan = fox

nbc should have put letterman on tonight in the first place, and jay leno should have been his occasional guest host. conan deserved the late night shot. craig ferguson is the funniest one on right now. i miss craig kilborn.

12. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Conan probably will go to Fox, but I wonder if it will be successful for him? From what I have heard, that will likely be the scenario with him airing at 11 PM Eastern just ahead of Letterman, Leno and Nightline. So I guess Fox will be well into programming when the other three networks are getting started. I just wonder if Fox programming in primetime will generate enough success for the show, especially since it will compete between 11-11:30 with local news broadcasts for viewers?

If a Fox/Conan combo works it will vindicate Conan somewhat, but if it fails, it could prove NBC right.

13. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

I miss Conan already. I watched the last episode and was so impressed with what he said about NBC and all his fans. I've always thought that he was the funniest host compared to the others. I love his sense of humor. I remember years ago telling my hubby I hope Conan takes Leno's place one day. I like Leno too, but Jay had his time. NBC screwed up. :cry: