Picking out candles

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by nsanemom22, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

You play cruel April Fools jokes, don't you? :)

2. Cleopatra

Pssst. Instead of burning candles to add to or try to mask the odors, set out a few small bowls of white vinegar. It absorbs the odors.

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I've heard that before, will have to give it a shot. If I have any vinegar, LOL. :jester:

4. Cleopatra

I buy it by the jug, as I mop my floor with it (and boiling water) and make my own glass cleaner. I also make an awesome sweet n sour sauce with it. :)

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Vinegar for the floor?? Hmmm............I use a Shark steam mop on it right now. Will have to try it!

6. Cleopatra

And I want to get a shark steam mop - I don't see why you couldn't add vinegar to that water. Ratio, maybe 1 to 3? I don't measure...

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I might try it. :cheers: Gotta mop this afternoon anyway, I'll give it a shot. I try not to use much in the way of chemicals on the floor because of the critters, vinegar should be just fine. Thanks for the suggestion!

8. Cleopatra

9. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

How do you like your Shark, I have looked at them several times, can they be used on all hardwood floors and tiles?

10. Cleopatra

Thinking on it, probably more like 1/4C or 1/2C vinegar to 1 gallon of water.

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

When I first got it, I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I still like it a lot, but I ended up having to scrub my kitchen floor by hand with a scrub brush before Christmas to get it 100% clean. It's great for everyday clean-up, but you will still have to do it the old-fashioned way once in a while to maintain. With that said, my kitchen floor is white. I mean, white. Complete PITA and don't know what I was thinking when I picked it out. :banghead:

I do use it on the hardwoods with no problems so far, but I don't soak them or anything and they were sealed before they were installed. I don't have any ceramic tile........................yet. That's coming hopefully this year. DH got a tile saw so I am planning on some upgrades...................if I can ever make up my mind what I want. :lol:

12. sassymom

lol thanks for the info! Still don't know about it though :)

13. sassymom

Glad to see that a lot of people like the Walmart brand been nervous about trying them, will have to pick up a few this weekend and see what I like!

14. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I just picked up a Walmart candle. A three layer one called Fresh Cotton/Cotton Seed & Freesia/Cool Winds. They were also some that were (looked to be) marked down. ..We'll see what happens. I couldn't remember the recommended scents once I got there. I also got one of those diffusers. Febreeze, not Glade. There were no Glade ones. Don't know if they work or not but my fingers sure do smell good. I stuck them in then flipped them and stuck the dry ends in to give it a head start.

15. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

I bought a Wal-mart candle this week and it smells good!!! I think it's apple pie. My husband tried to buy one before Christmas and I was snooty and said no way! Yankee Candle is the only candle I'll buy! So I pay $10 for this rinky dink candle and I couldn't smell unless I stuck my nose to the flame! I've learned not to be a Wal-mart snoot.

16. Cleopatra

You might not be a Walmart snoot, but you will be inhaling Walmart soot. ;)

Welcome back.

17. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

:lol: I heart you, Cleo.

18. nsanemom22

I bought the Febreeze ...scent...diffuser thing, with the little bottle of stuff and sticks...? Waste of $$. You can smell it if you stick your nose to it. I have it in a small bathroom. I tried the Walmart candle too. Scented the room a little but Yankee Candle seems to be the best. The Food Lion Beeswax Collection by Nature's Finest runs a really close second to Yankee but it doesn't burn all the wax. I also bought a Febreeze candle. Works great! ...looking forward to my next Yankee Candle purchase. Now... Where is the best place to buy them?

19. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

Just don't warm it on the stove like my grandma does. You walk it her house and it the strong vinegar smell hits you! She said someone told her if you warm vinager on the stove it keep the house smelling fresh. Fresh is not the word I'd use. :ack:

20. nsanemom22

LOL...to me vinegar smells like feet. I keep a spray bottle full of vinegar and water handy for different uses. DH hates it.