Anyone experienced this before?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DMJmom, Jan 21, 2010.

1. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Could you have injured your stomach somehow?

Working out doing crunches, lifting a heavy kid etc...?

The foods you eat could still have something to do with it eventhough you don't eat after 6

2. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

These don't sound like it either, but thanks. This is more of a stabbing pain, almost like someone is poking me on the insides with a sharp knife. Not like heartburn or anything like that. I feel it *sometimes* when I eat but haven't noticed a pattern. Dairy doesn't affect it, usually if something is harder/larger to swallow, but not always either.

I'm just weird. 3 years ago I had cough and breathing problems for months, and never did find anything. But it was real, the doctors knew there was something wrong, but never found out what it was. I have a feeling this will be the same way...:banghead:

3. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

I thought about maybe a pulled muscle, but he didn't think so because it doesn't hurt if I lift anything or move in any certain ways (twisting, stretching, etc) In fact yesterday I carried my hamper full of clothes (very heavy) and didn't feel anything.

The only other thing I've thought of is right after New Years I got sick with a stomach bug that went through our house. I threw up so hard and fast that my body ached for days afterwards. My ribs and back especially and I remember wondering if I could have injured something at that time it hurt so bad. But then it went away

4. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

When I had a hernia, it did not hurt all the time.

5. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

That's one thing that was never brought up at the docs, so I don't know about that.

6. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Get a second opinion if they start leaning toward a gallbladder problem. My wife was within hours of having her healthy gallbladder removed by a well-known Raleigh surgeon who only checked it with an ultrasound before drawing his conclusion that her's needed to be removed and had already scheduled the OR for surgery. I did some investigation and discovered he had a file with the medical board with similar rushes to judgement. She cancelled, went to another surgeon that told us off the record that he would conduct his examinations in such a way. He ordered a nuclear scan (I think its call a HIDA scan or something like that) which is much more thorough and no diseased gallbladder.

You might want to check with your GYN. My wife had pain up high and come to find out, she had a touch of endometriosis that was fixed with a simple laser surgery.

Have you checked WebMD's symptom checker? That may give you a little personal insight.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  7. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

I had a problem not too long ago similar - woke me up out of a dead sleep; it started as a pain low in stomach and I literally could feel it working it's way the center of my rib cage. If I sat up, I was fine but if I laid down, especially on my side, it was excrutiating. It lasted about 15 mins and then subsided but the rest of the day, I had a dull pain in the chest area and was wiped out. It has happened only twice - once around 6 a.m. and the other around 11:00 p.m.

8. Daredevil

Daredevil Well-Known Member

Gall bladder, etc....

If it helps to narrow it down....

My wife went in and had her gall bladder removed a few years back and the Doc said that 90 (some)% of the cases have the four "F"s in common.....

Female
    Fertile
    Forties
    and Fat (which my wife really isnt, bet I guess by the medical standard she's overweight)

9. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Daredevil - thanks! I am female, fertile, not 40 yet though. Guess I might be considered overweight, but not by much. Knowing my luck I'd be the other 10% though.

I called the dr office, the results are in but he hasn't looked at them yet. She sent a message back saying that I'm waiting for a call...

10. Daredevil

Daredevil Well-Known Member

Maybe it counts if you are close to 40 :p

My wife is one of the least affected by pain people I know, and her's had her on the floor to the point I thought she was having a heart attack. She couldnt speak the pain was soo bad. It hit her one night while sleeping and she litterally flew off the bed onto the floor. I took her to the hospital and after waiting in the ER for something like 6 hours, the pain was over then and she wanted to go home. I insisted she stay and get checked out, and that what they found out it was. She had it out and was back on her feet in a few days.

Good luck.

11. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

OUCH! Glad she got it taken care of. mine's not that bad, and certainly don't want it to get to that point. I don't normally get affected by pain much either, or get sick for that matter...But this is just making me feel like something is wrong, I just don't feel right. If it had just happened once I wouldn't think much of it, but it's been the past 3 days. I want a good night's sleep for once.

12. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I hope that you get to find out something real soon,the waiting around sucks!

13. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

Upper Abdominal Ultrasound- used to identify if the gallbladder is abnormal in shape or has developed stones etc.
    HIDA scan- used to establish just how well your gallbladder is working and with this they will try and duplicate the pain and check to see how well your gallbladder absorbs and empties. This procedure can take up to four hours of lying flat on your back while they take pictures at different stages of testing etc.
    Your symptoms do reflect those of someone who could potentially be having gallbladder issues, unless I've miss understood, you haven't been belching, burping, bad taste at the back of your throat, burning sensation in the chest after meals etc. then this would be my first guess, although upper abdominal irritation to the stomach lining could also manifest in this type of pain, therefore Omiprazole (Target brand) two tablets in the morning will help. Stay away from the caffiene and fatty or spicy foods.

I would never have any type of surgery for my gallbladder without the above two test performed.
    Of course, this is in no way being given as medical advice, just a little advice from one friend to another. Please check with your physician.
    Good luck.

14. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Well thank you for that. If this pain persists I will definitely bring this up to my dr. You are correct, I'm not having any of those other symptoms you mentioned. Really the only 2 symptoms I have are the pain in my upper stomach (mid-area) and very, very tired. To the point I feel like I could just drop at any minute. Have been very lazy the last 3 days...fortunately for me my kids have been sick too, so it's been a quiet week.

That 4 hour long test does not sound like fun. Wish the dr would hurry up and call. Every time my phone rings I jump.

15. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

Well just hang in there. Check your temp as well, even a low grade fever the Doc. needs to know. The HIDA scan can take up to 4 hours but if they can reproduce your symptoms they usually stop at that point.
    Good luck and I hope you start to feel better.

16. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

The first thing they cut me off on was caffeine, it kept the valves from properly closing.

17. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

I don't drink coffee or tea - ever, don't like it. And chocolate is very minimum, especially lately, as I've been trying to lose a few pounds. What else has caffeine?

I also don't drink alcohol, which I've read a lot today on different sites to avoid.

Still waiting for the dr to call.........

18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

my main source is/was Soda (Coke, Pepsi Diet Coke and the biggest baddest of them all Mountain Dew)

19. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Yeah - I don't drink soda either, not enough to say so. Actually all I drink is water and milk on a daily basis. And the milk has been minimal lately as well due to the weight I'm trying to lose. So I think I'm good on the caffeine. But I will try to make sure I stay away from chocolate, just in case. (I try not to keep any in the house because if it was here, I'd eat it!)

20. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

5:00 ...any word?