DENTURES

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sasha's mommy, Jan 22, 2010.

1. ARodrigues

ARodrigues Well-Known Member

I had all 4 done at the same time and it wasn't bad..And if there was ever a pansy at the dentist, it's me! (Plus they give you vicodin)

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

To heck with that! I had IV anesthesia!! I didn't want any part of being awake for any of it. Had four molars pulled with nothing but novacaine as a teen for my braces. Traumatized for life, now have some serious anxiety in the chair.

3. ARodrigues

ARodrigues Well-Known Member

Oh, they put me out, too! I meant the vicodin was for recovery...That, plus a glass of cabernet down by the pool and the recovery wasn't bad at all!

4. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Hey, why don't you see how much the dental training schools want. I think like UNC Chapel Hill might have a dental clinic where the school is and the dental students train on real people and the cost is alot cheaper.

5. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

... y'all are scaring me with the implant talk. I'm scheduled for one om Tuesday with Cusumano. ...Or rather it WAS to be Tuesday. The called today and left a message they want to change the time/date.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Cusamano did DH's. You'll be fine!!

7. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Dental tourism is the ticket for those looking for an affordable option to the high fees charged by American dentists. I did a lot of research into this, and while Hungary is very much at the top of a lot of folks recommendations, and India also gets high marks, I looked a little further amd found great dental care a lot closer to home.
    Costa Rica has a well known dental "industry" with most of the dentists being American trained. There are several clinics in San Jose, about a 4-5 hour flight, less than $500 round trip. None that I know of offer the "same day" implants. A typical trip would be 7-10 days, and back home with "new teeth".
    Nice hotels in downtown San Jose run anywhere from $45-$100 a day, and this includes a great Costa Rican breakfast!. So your cost for the trip would be $1000-$1500.
    Now for the great part... Previous poster said an implant wound up being $3000 when all was said and done. I assume this means the implant, which is the titanium bar anchored into the jaw, and also the crown to go on top.
    Typical prices in Costa Rica are $500 for the implant and $250 for the crown, $750 total, or about 1/4 the cost of having it done locally. Of course it is more cost effective the more work you need done.

Just putting this out there for you folks that are looking other options, and may not know about this. It still isn't cheap, but almost affordable compared to local rates.

You will still need to see a local dentist for problems that may arise in the future, and for care of natural teeth, but for a one time fix of several teeth or more, it's a great option to have available

8. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

:iagree:

9. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Ok... I just got off the phone with the MIL. Seems one of my niece's had an implant recently and was told that for a while (a month?) not to chew on the side of the implant because the pressure could cause her jaw to break. :shock: KDC, was this the situation with your DH? I'm really on the fence as to whether or not to have it done.

I'm going back and forth from being comfortable with it to being scared.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I didn't go with DH, but seems as though I would have remembered something like that!! So, no. I don't think so. Call Cusamano's office first thing Monday, I'm sure he will put your mind at ease. Gonna ask DH, so hold on a sec.