Healthy snacks

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by CrazyFabulous, Jan 13, 2010.

1. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Toast w/ a thin layer of peanut butter, 1/2 sliced banana, and a drizzle of honey. Yum!!

2. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

That is actually a true statement. 1/3 - 1/2 bottle of wine a day (depending on alcohol content, your weight, etc) will reduce the chance of diabetes by 58%. Beer will also do the same but only dark color beers (no lagers!). Alcohol is also great after a workout because it loosens your muscles and gives you a boost of energy. Beer also happens to go great with peanuts, which is a great source of protein that's needed after a workout. Put that in your granola pipe n smoke it.

3. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

so i should drink after every workout! SWEET!!

4. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Or do like I do and use drinking as my workout.

5. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

Beer curles :cheers:

6. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

YUM!!!!

That's what I had for brekfast today. I could eat the whole box. :lol:

7. shardee428

shardee428 Well-Known Member

On that note, I really like the Baked Utz chips. Lowes Foods has a few flavors: BBQ, Cheddar and Sour Cream, and Sour Cream and Onion.

Now, if I could just get a damn bowl and control my portions with these, I'd be all set.

8. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

One of my favs, as well...except I put just a thin layer of Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmellow Creme on it for my own version of a fluffernutter. Of course, you would think that having a thin, half-serving spread of each on a small bagel wouldn't be that bad, but I've compared that to one Krispy Kreme doughnut and they are actually pretty close...BUT with one major difference. The sodium content is considerably lower with the doughnut. The KK doughnut has 90 mg of sodium compared to 375 to my fluffernutter fav. There really is waaaay too much sodium in our foods nowadays.

Speaking of Krispy Kreme, they are having a charity race for the UNC Children's Hospital in Raleigh next month. Go to www.krispykremechallenge.com and see the details. Basically for $17 you participate in a run (or walk) from the NCSU Belltower to the nearby KK store. You grab a dozen doughnuts and run back. The "Challenge" is to do the race the quickest, eat all the doughnuts and keep them down. Those who just want to casually participate are not required to run, eat all or any doughnuts and get a T-shirt. The $17 even includes your $10 donation.

9. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

just got these yesterday and they're really good! :hurray:

Oats 'N Dark Chocolate granola bars, by Nature Valley
    (2 bars=190 cal)

10. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

And it's better to have a pint of Guiness than Budweiser or another of my personal favorites Michelob Amber Bock or Corona (personal summer time favorite).

http://www.realbeer.com/edu/health/calories.php

http://www.shapefit.com/beer.html

11. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

:hurray:I love these too! I ran out of my huge BJ's supply and did find them in the Walmart on 70 but you don't get many in a package. My daughters love these too!

12. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Carrot Salad - shred 1 lb.carrots,1 small onion,1 small apple.Make vinaigrette,from vinegar,oil,salt,pepper,pinch of sugar,add some chopped parsley.Pour over shredded carrots etc.,let marinate for short while before serving. You can also add some shredded red cabbage,sliced celery and a handful of golden raisins to add variety.

13. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

My new healthy snack addiction is Garden Valley Veggie Wheat Thins Toasted Chips. OMG. They are good! 12 chips = 130 calories.

14. below14thdesigns

below14thdesigns Well-Known Member

15. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Yum!

16. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I'm not sure just how healthy it is, but someone on here recommended Nutella to me awhile back and I finally bought some. It is quite yummy. I can't remember who it was (sorry), but thanks. It breaks the boredom of peanut butter ever so often.

And yes, those strawberry Fruit Crips are delightful. Of course, Nabisco has had something similar with the Newton brand name. Kelloggs' product is better though. I just don't get carried away with them.

17. AnnetteL

Being from Germany I grew up with Nutella,it's really good on some french rolls!

18. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

love love love.

19. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I'll have to try that. Usually, I spread it on a mini bagel. I've always wanted to go to Germany. My dad served with the 3rd Armored Division in Germany years ago and always speaks fondly of those days.

20. AnnetteL

Spread some butter on the roll first before you spread the Nutella on it.

Yeah,the good ole days -that's where I met my husband,he was stationed in the same city as Elvis,although quite a few years later ;)

Wasn't the 3rd. stationed in Frankfurt and also known as Spearhead?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010