Another small business fails :(

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kodiak kid, Jan 24, 2010.

1. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

K-Mart once thought they had it made and they failed. If Wal-Mart starts to raise prices then someone will take their place (I.E. Target) as top dog.

Everyone remember how "big" Sears used to be?

2. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I hate to see that Todd is closing his doors. He has been nothing but helpful and has really tried to bring that shop back up to par after the last owners left it in shambles.

I really hate to see him leave.

3. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

:iagree:

Only went in once. Saw no need to ever return.

4. Sporadic2000

Sporadic2000 Well-Known Member

I didn't know Wal-mart sold pets. :jester:

5. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Didn't seem to be hurting too bad when I was there yesterday for the first game. Granted not their normal Sunday football crowd, but then again this time of year there rarely is, with there only being one or two games a day vs. sixteen during regular season.

6. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

Sad that it's closing no matter who owns it, but when I moved back to J. County, and I went in that store 5 years ago, didn't like it then and still don't like it now. They never carried the stuff I wanted, so I ended up ordering it online, Walmart has nothing to do with my dogs, cats or birds. I buy my cat litter from BJ's, and dog food there as well..bird food online, cause no one around here carries what I feed them, or close enough to make it worth the drive. Walmart, I get some stuff there, not much..

7. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Yeah...never would have seen a Sears/Kmart alliance during the seventies. As for Target, I've always liked their store better, but they need at least one Super Target in western Johnston. I still propose that the 42/70 or the 70/70 split would be ideal for one. They'd be able to pull from Smithfield, Selma, Clayton, Garner, 4042, McGee's, etc.

8. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

I hate to see them close. We purchased a parakeet & a bearded dragon from them. I loved having somewhere close to pick up crickets (yuck) for the beardy. We've also had our dogs groomed there a few times and they always did a good job. They've always been very friendly & helpful. When Todd was generously donating the aquarium & setup kit for the WVES raffle recently, he mentioned he may have to close the store soon. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. The economy is so rough lately. I hate seeing all of the struggling businesses.

9. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

agree

10. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I doubt it had to do with Wal Mart. What did they both sell, only gold fish? The pet store sold higher end pet food, sold birds, reptile all of which Wal Mart does not sell. I thoght it was very smelly in there.

11. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I took my rabbit in there about a year ago to be groomed. I called beforehand and asked if the groomer had experience with rabbits and if he felt comfortable. The answer was yes. We took my baby up there and decided to wait while they groomed him because bunnies get so scared and can easily have a heart attack. I look over and this dude who supposedly had experience with rabbits was holding my little one up by his ears (back feet were still on the table, front ones were not) whilre brushing him. I lost my mind. I have not been back in there. I'm done with that place...I don't care who owns it at this point.

12. Sporadic2000

You could check the bait shop to see if they still sell crickets for your bearded dragon.

13. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

I called there several times over the last year looking for different types/brands of pet food. They did not sell or were very intersted in helping me locate anything that I asked for. One time, I asked about a brand of raw cat food and was told they had never heard of raw pet food. That was my last call.

14. shardee428

shardee428 Well-Known Member

Shoot, if Wal-mart was truly running folks out of business, the party store at 40/42 would be closing, too. Or maybe it is? lol, I don't know. I've never shopped there b/c I like one-stop shopping places like Wal-mart or Target.

15. Sporadic2000

The party store has gone out of business. I'm sure the Dollar store didn't help much either.

16. shardee428

I know you're being silly, but I think they do have some small critters such as fish, hamsters, etc. At least some Wal-marts do.

17. shardee428

Wow, when did that happen?

18. Sporadic2000

I think it was early November. As for the pet store it smelled awful in there and there wasn't much customer service to speak of.

19. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

the only pets this walmart sells is fish...I know because my kids drag me to the critter section all the time!

20. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Not all pets stores suffer due to a Walmart. Look at the one in Garner over beside the Wilco Hess near where the old Texas Steakhouse used to be. Its tucked away over there and Walmart hadn't done them in. Two Petsmart stores haven't either. Actually, that's where my son's pet rabbit came from.

I doubt Walmart is going to do that much damage to a pet store. Petsmart on the other hand just might since they sell most common pets but dog. Plus, they have considerable more variety than Walmart.