Now what?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kdc1970, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

If the bank gave you information for the charge did that not lead you closer to where it was used? If it was used where a security camera is.....bingo!

Sherry

2. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

Some places I need pin number, some I only need zip code. Just this a.m., I was at Sanhu's and had to punch in my zip code. My niece went back to App. after the holiday and went to use her Wachovia card at Panera Bread and it was denied. As her excess financial aid had just gone into her account, she knew it was impossible to be overdrawn. The cashier told her it was denied as a non-existing account (or something to that effect). She called Wachovia and found out that they shut it down because someone was attempting to use on it on a gaming site - how they knew it wasn't her, she was never able to figure out. The bank told her that the thief will usually try to make a very small purchase with the card to see if it'll go through and then they try larger purchases.

3. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Yes! SHHHH... go back to your "surfing" now!:jester::mrgreen:

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Sherry, it was used to try to get a membership on a pay website. The bank gave me the number for the website that was trying to run the charge. The website folks gave me the email address of whomever tried to use the number, but I am not sure what to do with it from there.

5. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Okay now I understand better. If I were you I'd ask Nevil and/or devilock if they know a way to figure it out from that point. You know, if the email address is hotmail, gmail, etc. Ken and Kevin may know how to do some sort of something or if you wanted the district attorneys office could get that info probably, if you pressed charges.

Good luck,
    Sherry

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  6. brea7347

brea7347 Well-Known Member

The same thing happened to me over the weekend! I got a call from Amazon.com asking if I had made any purchases recently. I said no and they told me that someone had opened an account using my name and credit card number, but a different email address and shipping address (guess that's what caught their attention). They had tried to charge a $461 camera to my card. I had my credit card cancelled and checked my credit reports which were fine. We don't use the card very often other than dh's business trips, some utilities that are automatically withdrawn (got to get those airline miles!), and online purchases. We did, however, pay a local plumber with that card a few weeks ago. Amazon refused to give me the email address or shipping address, but they did say it was in Mocksville, NC which is west of here. So that tells me it was probably stolen locally.

My credit card company told me to file a police report, so I called the sheriff's department (we are in Wake County now). I got a call back today from someone in the fraud department. He said they are definitely going to check into it. He said Amazon will give them the shipping address so they can check it out. He also got the info from me of the plumber we used the card with and said he was going to talk to them.

Like you, it's driving me crazy trying to figure out how someone got my number. I feel better knowing my credit reports are clear. At least I can be fairly sure they don't have my SS# or other identifying info, otherwise they probably would have tried something bigger.

I'm sorry this happened to you too, I know how you feel! :banghead:

7. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

Who is DH ?

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Richard Head?

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Darling Husband

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm sorry! The dollar amount wasn't nearly that high on mine. I hope they catch them for you. :grouphug:

11. brea7347

:confused: dh, like dear husband or darling husband (at least most of the time! :lol:)

12. brea7347

I do too. Even though they didn't get anything out of us, who knows how often they are doing this to other people? Scumbags. :evil:

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I know. It's a sickening feeling though. I wouldn't have been shocked so much except I am SO careful with my card. Apparently not careful enough for a determined crook. Here's hoping there is a special place in hell for 'em. :cheers:

14. Quincy8Boy

Quincy8Boy Well-Known Member

My Target card's been compromised twice. Don't know how.

Yeah, I bought a subscription to an Italian magazine and SECU called me to verify.

15. Vinalexnc

Vinalexnc Well-Known Member

'Tumbling' CC/Debit card numbers

Just a little info may or may not make you feel better.
    Your debit card # does not have to be stolen anywhere so don't really drive yourself crazy trying to figure out who and where your number may have been stolen. Yes some of your more professional criminals use swipe type readers and sometime they payoff some waiter to carry a swipe reader in their pocket and swipe ever card they come across but most of today's criminals are lazy and look for the easiest way to do things.
    In most cases now your # is just being reproduce and alot of transaction can be done as what they call 'pinless' today.
    As I'm sure most of you know your Debit card # is not just a random 16 digit number. Without going into to much detail, the sequence of #s on your card id's the card company like Visa, the issuing bank, and your account. Criminlas know the sequences and only have to change the part the relates to the actual bank account.They keep trying or 'tumbling' different numbers usually by attmepting to make small 'pinless' transaction either over the internet or by phone until a card number works and then they burn it up. Either by just using the number again over the internet or phone to make 'pinless' purchase without even having a actual card or they will burn your debit card # that they just 'tumbled' to onto a blank card (they use the same type of cards that hotels use as keys) and go shopping. If you think about it when you use your debit card now you can swipe it then instead of running it as a debit card you run it as a credit card and just sign the receipt and how often does the cashier ask to look at the card you just swiped and for your ID. With swipe type of transaction the business never touches the card and doesnt have to check for ID.

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

In my case, the company gave me the email address used in the transaction. That email address included my last name, so I have a feeling that someone at some point, made a note of it, not just the number. That's why I think it was a waiter or something along those lines.

17. Vinalexnc

Yes in your situation it looks like they got a little more then your card #. To be on the safe side and in case they have more of your info, have you contacted the 3 credit bureaus and had a fraud alert placed on all 3?? If not you should consider doing it.

18. brea7347

Same here. They opened the account in my name. Also, I was trying to remember, but I think Amazon.com requires the three digit security code on the back of the card. If so, then that means someone would have had to have physically seen my card.

19. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I've checked my reports, but haven't put a fraud alert. I'll think about that...................it was a small amount, I think they were testing the waters so to speak.

20. Vinalexnc

Yes they usually test it first with a small transaction. Sounds like BB&T's Fraud Dept was on their toes. Just keep on eye on you reports to be safe.