Where to go to sled ride?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by trailblazer, Jan 29, 2010.

1. trailblazer

trailblazer Active Member

Anyone know of good sledding spots in JoCo or southern Wake?
    Totally flat where I am...
    Thanks!

2. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

No ideas yet?

Down on Little Creek Church Rd. just south of Clayton there's a couple of dirt piles leftover from the bypass project (Google 35.632204,-78.446739). I generally try to be a gentleman, but they might bear a slight resemblance to Mae West, or a '59 Caddy...pretty steep!

I don't know if someone will run you off if you go there, but I doubt it.

Good luck!

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

A few years ago I saw a few folks sledding beside Heavner Furniture on Market Street in Smithfield. There is a short, steep embankment there. There's a street in Clayton that is good, too. Right behind the Clayton Food Town. I've seen sledders there before too. Its flat at the top of Lombard, progresses into a nice downhill and then flattens back out.

4. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

JoCo flat? No way! :jester:

We have a steep driveway. I guess the kids could sled into the garage. :lol:

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Actually you are right, we jokingly referred to the house across the street as the Swiss chalet. From their front porch to the street would be a sobering ride for most people.

6. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Best place in Clayton is the road into Starmount S/D. Going on O'Neil towards Archer Lodge, it's the last street on the left before GeorgetownS/D, which is right across the street from thos 2 industrial size buildings.
    Full of twists and turns, very steep. It was our fave 38-40 years ago. 8)

Piney Mountain (Amelia Ch. Rd.) beside ande behind McD's was good, too, But I feel sure it's been brined and will be clear with traffic early on.

7. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

my back yard if you do not mind running into trees on the way down hill

8. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

What about the steep hills up around the new walmart?

9. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I was out this evening with my son and I simply let him hold on to a jump rope and I'd just sling him. As tightly packed as the white stuff is this time around, he'd slide probably 60-70 feet before stopping...and we didn't even have to go anywhere.