Johnston Co. Schools Closed Feb 2, 2010

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Sherry A., Feb 1, 2010.

1. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

2. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Yep..just got the automated call. Funny thing is our street is now clear but I know there are plenty of others where the "sun don't shine" that are probably still a mess.

3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Ours are still pretty slick in the hood. I understand that from my house to 42E can be used but is still slick and will freeze over tonight.

Kids have to make up one day this Saturday for 5 hours. I hope the storm coming this Thursday has no snow or ice.

Sherry

4. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

YEP, Sorry DS You will be in school on SAT! Oh My, at least we did not kiss all of Spring Break good bye.

5. blessed2adopt2

blessed2adopt2 Well-Known Member

Agreed!

It will be interesting to see what the Sat school brings. Should be interesting!

6. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that thinks making the kids go to school on Sat. is nuts?
    Both my daughters have lessons that I purposefully scheduled on Sat. because of my schedule. Why can't they take away a teacher work day? OK teachers don't hate on me, but I have to vent.:confused:

7. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

True, and there is a lot of melting right now that will refreeze overnight and make the roads treacherous in the morning.

8. Jenna's Mom

Jenna's Mom Well-Known Member

School on a Saturday is rather hokey imo. What about those kids whose daycares drive them to school, I suppose that will be more parents in the car pool line or over crowded busses. Besides, didn't they used to work in like 5 Snow/Teacher Workdays into the schedule anyway? Well, they did back when I was a kid. But yeah, the Saturday morning lessons things for like horseback riding and stuff, not to mention other misc appointments. Glad I didn't have anything planned this weekend.

9. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

We're already 48th in education, whats one or two missed days going to hurt?

10. JayP

JayP Well-Known Member

I'm looking at the approved Johnston County schedule that shows inclement weather days as being as follows:

"County Inclement Weather Days: 1/20/11, 2/21/11, 4/18/11,
    4/19/11, 4/20/11"

Someone at the county should refer to this once in a while. We had plans.

11. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

Saturday is stupid....just go an extra day in the summer.

12. JayP

JayP Well-Known Member

I quoted the days from the wrong year...they must have taken the 09/10 calendar down. Regardless...there are inclement days to resort to. This Saturday is not one of them.

13. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

Inclement weather days for this school year are April 9, 8, 7, and 6th. That would be spring break :~(

14. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

Two problems with this...

1) Short notice

2) It's not a school day so other things could be planned (vacations, birthdays, etc)

15. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

they complained when it was the friday of spring break, now they're complaining it's saturday even though technically they got what they wanted...either way, somebody's upset

16. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

Problem is, now it's both right?

17. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

with EOC's and HS graduations, its just not that easy to tack on additional days at the end of the year.

18. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

Ok...I'll compromise......put it on a Saturday a month or two from now.

19. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

This is an annual event. Between snow, ice and hurricanes, we lose part of spring break every year. It's time to build these days in to the calendar. Call them snow days or whatever. Give them back at the end of the year if they aren't used.

20. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

oh, i guess it is. nevermind.

[​IMG]