Johnston Co. Schools Closed Feb 2, 2010

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Sherry A., Feb 1, 2010.

1. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Considering that the majority of high school students work, and their schedules are made at least one week in advance, holding Saturday school this weekend is not reasonable. I'm sure the employers would be in a bind if all high school students didn't show up for work Saturday. I am not totally opposed to holding school on Saturday, but less than one week notice is not reasonable to the students nor employers. Before I get flamed, I am not saying work is more important that a child's education but the Saturday should be scheduled with more notice.

2. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

I agree with you.......I didn't even get to those who have part time jobs. Now they are affecting employers who will have to scramble to adjust their schedules.

One week notice is probably the dumbest thing they could have done.

3. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

Lets fight the power, fight the power that be. We've got to fight the powers that be.

4. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

:iagree:

5. smiles

smiles Well-Known Member

Email Dr. Croom and the Bd of Ed. They need to follow their own rules for makeup days. You can always keep your vacation plans over spring break, but what about employees who have plans they can't change with a few days notice? As far as I can tell, they haven't exhausted all of the planned makeup days yet.

http://policy.microscribepub.com/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=219121730&advquery=%22weather%22&depth=2&headingswithhits=on&hitsperheading=on&infobase=johnston.nfo&record={1A4}&softpage=PL_frame

From the above link in the School Board Policy Manual:
    Each year the school calendar for the Johnston County Schools shall be drawn with sufficient flexibility to permit school officials to absorb a reasonable number of "snow days." In the event schools are closed due to hazardous weather conditions, natural disasters, or other emergencies, every reasonable effort will be made to make up the lost days. Should circumstances require closing schools for more than the number of make-up days scheduled in the school calendar, the board may consider excusing additional days for students and employees as permitted by law.

6. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

wral just said we could get more snow this weekend, so there probably won't be any school this Sat either. :lol:

7. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Greg Fischel's Doppler gets over excited every time we get snow. He always follows it up with a chance for more. We wont get any. He needs to take a cold shower.

8. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

I just emailed Dr. Croom and suggested that he at least consider offering a couple of Saturday dates so parents, students and employers have adequate time to prepare.

9. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Get back over to your "No School Closing Discussion" Thread. :mrgreen::jester::mrgreen:

Sherry

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I agree. I really have no problem with the Sat school but it is a little short notice. Friend of mine's kids are in a soccer tournament Sat. It's non-refundable and it was a significant amount of money. Poses no big issue for us personally.............this time. I'm wondering why they are doing it so quickly. :confused:

11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

:withstupid:

12. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Hope the round on Thursday and Friday is not bad. My teen, along with other swimmers, has the Regional swim meet on Friday.

Sherry

13. ImTheNormal0ne

ImTheNormal0ne Well-Known Member

well i had plans to go out of town this weekend i am not chagin just cause they have school my kids will just be counted absent :/

14. cece

cece Well-Known Member

My email has been sent to Mr. Croom as well... I do not have a problem with a Saturday make-up day - just take issue with less than a weeks notice.....

15. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

yeah, boyeeeeeeeee

[​IMG]

16. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

Tomorrow is closed with less than a weeks notice, whats the difference? They dont expect all the kids to show up. They have to have class a certain number of days and this will satisfy the requirement without dumping all of spring break.

17. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

This, or this

Any questions?

18. smiles

smiles Well-Known Member

Imagine it's the day of your son or daughter's birthday party. You've ordered a cake, the guests have RSVP'd, and now no one will be coming because your child and all of the guests are in school. It's not something that can easily just be rescheduled. (Maybe you've reserved a place for the party and it's booked for the next few weekends.) Or if your child has a soccer tournament (I know there's one this weekend) that pulls teams from several different counties. Do you think they'll be rescheduling the tournament to accomodate Johnston County Schools? Of course not. They'll just expect those teams to forfeit the Saturday games and play on Sunday with no hope of winning.

Having school called off is a bit different than expecting people to change plans that have been set up for a long time. When they use spring break, principals are understanding when a parent sends in a note "we've planned a family trip" and little Suzie and Johnny will be absent. True, absenteeism will be high on Saturday, but what about the teachers who have second jobs, family plans, etc. for Saturday? The teachers are expected to show up. The school board's own policy says they will use days scheduled on the calendar and go to other dates if those dates are all used up. If they have a policy in writing, they should be obligated to follow that policy. Period.

19. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

I see your point

20. smiles

smiles Well-Known Member

Teachers won't have that option.