To Those of Us Born 1925 - 1970

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Got this as an email and thought it was kind of cute:

No matter what our kids and the new generation think about us,
    WE ARE AWESOME !!!
    OUR Lives are LIVING PROOF !!!

To Those of Us Born
    1925 - 1970 :
    At the end of this email is a quote of the month by Jay Leno.. If you don't read anything else, please
    read what he said.

Very well stated, Mr. Leno.
    ~~~~~~~~~
    TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE
    1930s, '40s, '50s, '60s and '70s!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who may have smoked and/or drank
    while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then, after that trauma, we were
    put to sleep on our tummies
    in baby cribs covered
    with bright colored lead-based paints.
    We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets,
    and, when we rode our bikes,
    we had baseball caps,
    not helmets, on our heads.
    As infants and children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes..

Riding in the back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.
    We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter, and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar. And we weren't overweight.
    WHY?

Because we were always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
    No one was able to reach us all day.
    --And, we were OKAY..

We would spend hours building
    our go-carts out of scraps
    and then ride them down the hill,
    only to find out we forgot the brakes.. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Play Stations, Nintendos and X-boxes. There were
    no video games, no 150 channels on cable,
    no video movies or DVDs,
    no surround-sound or CDs,
    no cell phones,
    no personal computers,
    no Internet and no chat rooms.

WE HAD FRIENDS
    and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut,
    broke bones and teeth,
    and there were no lawsuits
    from those accidents.

We would get spankings with wooden spoons, switches, ping-pong paddles, or just a bare hand, and no one would call child services to report abuse.

We ate worms, and mud pies
    made from dirt, and
    the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls, and
    -although we were told it would happen- we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts
    and not everyone made the team.
    Those who didn't had to learn
    to deal with disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers,
    problem solvers, and inventors ever.

The past 50 to 85 years have seen an explosion of innovation and new ideas…

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of those born
    between 1925-1970, CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids, so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it ?
    ~~~~~~~
    The quote of the month
    by
    Jay Leno
    "With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

For those that prefer to think that God is not watching over us...go ahead and delete this.
    For the rest of us......pass this on.

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

3. lgb0250

lgb0250 Well-Known Member

One of my favorite songs:

A Different World
    Bucky Covington

We were born to mothers who smoked and drank
    Our cribs were covered in lead based paint
    No child proof lids no seat belts in cars
    Rode bikes with no helmets and still here we are, still here we are
    We got daddy’s belt when we misbehaved
    Had three TV channels you got up to change
    No video games and no satellite
    All we had were friends and they were outside, playin’ outside

Chorus
    It was a different life
    When we were boys and girls
    Not just a different time
    It was a different world

School always started the same every day
    The pledge of allegiance then someone would pray
    Not every kid made the team when they tried
    We got disappointed and that was all right, we turned out all right

Chorus

Bridge
    No bottled water, we drank from a garden hose
    And every Sunday, all the stores were closed

Chorus

Chorus

It was a different world

4. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

When I called a friend of mine yesterday and asked what her kids were doing the past couple of days she told me that they've been playing video games,off course-what else :ack:
    Back in the day when I was a kid and it snowed we were outside playing from morning until night.

5. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Back in the day I have made my share of snowmen (and not snowpersons) and of course snow forts (for snowball fights).

Riding my Schwinn Stingray all over town. Pedaling as fast as I could then hitting the brakes and sliding out the back slick tire. Doing jumps with it and wheelies. Never having to use a helmet or pads and if I fell the oh well. Get up and do it again.

Playing cowboys and indians using sticks and pretending they were guns.

Making tunnels in the plowed snow banks.

George Washington Elementary school was just at the end of our street (4 houses away) So there was no excuse for snowdays.

One time I guess my parents had gotten worried about where I was and had called the police. I was over at the school yard playing. And as I was walking home and came back through the gate the patrol car was there and he put me in the back seat just to drive me 3 houses down. I was about 8 years old at the time. I am now 51 and to this day it was one of my scariest moments with police. Being put in the back of a cop car. I guess it was a 1960's version of 'scared straight'

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  6. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Those were the days.

Doesn't matter where we go my teen takes all of her competitive swim gear. Recently we were away near a beach with a pool and all. She takes her swim bag down to the pool, pulls out her stuff, puts her swim goggles on and dives in the pool. I look around and not one other person have on goggles. I think to myself what a dorky kid she is and laugh. A few minutes later one other family came to the pool and the teenage boy did the same as my teen girl. They both did laps in the pool and then laid out with their families.

I asked the waiter for a shot of whatever and wonder how I wound up with a dork. I told her that when I was younger I don't remember anybody at the neighborhood pool wearing goggles, putting on fins, etc. and that had we seen someone with that garb we would have laughed.

Her response....your generation did not understand that items were actually hurting you and I'll bet I can out lap you. I looked at her and said that obviously my generation did something right as I paid for her swim lessons, her garb and where we were staying so she better tread lightly........she asked to be excused so she could go sit alone. :mrgreen:

Sherry

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Growing up in Milwaukee with the Master Lock Company snow depository right behind our alley we used to have a series of tunnels in ala "The Great Escape"