Johnston Co. Schools Closed Feb 2, 2010

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Sherry A., Feb 1, 2010.

1. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

1 -> Not approved? You can't change it. I don't care that the "law" says you can use Saturdays. Use the approved days first, then use Saturdays as/if necessary.

2 -> Duh. See 1.

3 -> BS. Teachers can work overtime. The rest of the working world does. Instead of having social hour during the allotted teacher work days. Actually do some work. Not saying that some teachers don't work and have a desire to help kids, but that's another whole argument in itself. Plus, if you move the end of the school year back a day, hmm.. that seems to be another day where the teacher can do their work.

4 -> Are you kidding me? A day off for a fair? THIS is beyond the realm of anything I can understand. Scheduling school on a Saturday, with such short notice is one thing, but a day off for a fair? Take away this day. Kids should be learning and not hanging out with a bunch of drunk dingbats riding around on golf carts.

5 -> Not necessary.

6 -> Looked at a calendar recently? At a quick glance, I can see at least 10 to 12 other Saturdays to choose from.

This Croom is an idiot. Giving him (probably his secretary) praise for a prompt reply is giving him the satisfaction that you don't have any say in what happens to your child. Weekends are a time for families to be together. You can say this is only 1 day, but it's the principle. Our children should not subjected to this by missing the birthday party, soccer tournament, martial arts class, riding lessons, music lessons and other family obligations because he writes back to you quickly. This is on a much larger scale.

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Gotta love this No Child Left Behind crap.

Sherry

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

you guys are pretty brutal....why get all bent outta shape?

either let your kid go this Saturday, or not. it's easy.

There is no way to please EVERY single parent of every kid from Kindergarten to High School age in all of the JoCo schools and make the make-up day(s) the "right" day for everyone's schedule.

drive through please.....

4. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

aww our poor kids are going to miss birthday parties and soccer games on Saturday. Will they ever recover from this? :banghead:

5. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

Really? I can see missing someone else's party, but if it's your own, it's a different story. I'm thinking about this from my daughter's little mind. If it's her own party that she's been planning and talking about for months, it would be devestating for her not have it. It just so happens the place where she's having her party only has parties on Saturdays. It would be easy just say keep her home, but then if their friends that were invited to the party are going to school, she still loses. The only way to "fix" it would be to have it far from her actual birthday. Hopefully, this won't be an issue because her party isn't for another 3 weeks, but who knows how much more snow we'll get? I'm a little worried.

6. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

7. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

His message noted ... The law does allow school districts to attend school on Saturday as long as students do not attend more than five days in one week.

His point was this Saturday and Memorial day are the only weeks the children don't already have a 5 day school week.

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

You could always plan to have your children in the summer months. I was born in August - never missed anything birthday related due to school. I did miss my brothers wedding because of football practice. Looking back I probably could have missed part of practice.

9. Tangerine

Are you serious? Life is full of disappointments.

10. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

Of course... did say it was wasn't? You just made so light of it. I was making a point that it is a big deal to kids.

11. Tangerine

Well God forbid we disappoint a kid.

12. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

I don't think you understood my point. I didn't say a kid can't be disappointed. I was just saying it's sad that a kid who planned a birthday party for so long can't have it. I don't expect the world to change because of a birthday party. I'm looking at the emotional part of it. It's all good. It's just my opinion. We don't have to agree. :)

13. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Does the school allow in-class birthday parties? Maybe they would make an exception on a Saturday if you ask, "pretty please."

14. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

No one wants to see their child brokenhearted. I see both sides of it. I'd be the same way.

15. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

God forbid I show compassion for a kid who might be disappointed!

16. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Don't they get out early anyway, like noon or 1pm? Hopefully people could make plans for a later time, if needed.

17. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

Actually, that's a great idea. If for some reason school was scheduled on that Saturday, I would ask her teacher if I could at least bring cupcakes and celebrate. When life gives us lemons, we make lemonade. :lol:

18. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

Oh well... if that's the case. No problemo! I didn't realize it was a half day. :oops:

19. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

It's the notice that's unacceptable. That and I'm not convinced they should believe it needs to be done on ANY Saturday....particularly one in freakin FEB when school gets out in June.

Croom is an idiot and should be hung in effigy.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2010
  20. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest