Johnston Co. Schools Closed Feb 2, 2010

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Sherry A., Feb 1, 2010.

1. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

2. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

This goes far beyond just the kids ....as we have already explained.....perhaps you just don't like to read.....or can't read.

3. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

And you might be posting from the other side of the fence if you had been the one to shell out those non-refundable fees for those B-Day parties or those soccer tournaments. Just saying there is a bit more to it that "just" disappointing some kids.

My kid is going to school because he's missed some days due to actually being sick. But thankfully we personally don't have any issues for Saturday, just by sheer luck. No, they can't make everybody happy by any means, but I don't think slamming those who have some legit scheduling issues is productive either.

5. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

Can't we all just get along? :lol: As Barney says, I love you. You love me. We're a happy fa-mi-ly!

6. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

My son's birthday party was canceled this past Saturday because of snow. Fine...it's an act of God. So we moved it to this Saturday.

Now we can't do it because half of the kids will be in school....plus I'm sending my own kid to school since that is how we roll.

Had they planned this a month out and it fell on my son's birthday, I would have been cool with it because we would have time to make arrangements. Again...I can deal with the Saturday school, even though I think it isn't necessary at this point of the school year, but the lack of notice is inexcusable.

7. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

:hurray: I was hoping I wasn't the only one that saw the slamming.

8. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

I graduated in the 80's so this goes A LONG TIME AGO. :oops: But! We had what were called "snow days" that were set aside SPECIFICALLY for inclement weather like this. That way it did NOT take away from vacation time during the year. I think they had like 5 to 7 of them. Now that was up in PA and back then maybe NC did not see snow like they do now, I don't know. But lately NC IS gettig snow year after year and it might be time to implement a NEW PLAN. :?::?:

9. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Hey - don't blame it on me!

10. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

I don't think he said an act of monkey. :jester:

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I gotta say though if it was ME that had posted what Wolf has..........he'd be all over me like a duck on June bug calling me a whiner. :lol::lol::lol::jester:

I see both sides, just glad for once that I am not caught in the middle. :cheers:

12. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

But there are ALREADY other days built into the school year as designated make up days.

How about we have school on Sunday those weekends instead?

Ok.. what other "events" besides the S.A.T.'s should the school really worry about? Don't even start with school sports, that falls in the same category as the weekend soccer tourneys.

13. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

NC used to have them too - but after some yrs of not needing them and I'm sure there were other reasons, they did away with them.

14. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I thought that too, ie: the built in days. Wasn't that part of the argument when the school calendar was redesigned a few years ago?

I don't know if I will send my kids. Thing I only gets to see her dad every other weekend, and that is his weekend. If she doesn't go it won't be fair to send my son.

15. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Reasons why these studens NEED the make up day..

and then some.

On a certain social networking site, some enterprising souls have developed an account as follows:

http://www.xxcebook.com/pages/Johnston-County-will-not-make-up-a-snow-day-on-2610/284657708969

Looking over this site, one finds numerous cases of misspelling, grammar mistakes, and a general inability to present a coherent thought. More than anything, these posters make the case for more education, not less.

A few choice examples: "Johnston county", "Super intendant", "Lol, I dought it.", "they cant leave school, even if there's noone to teach!"

As of now, there are 1231 fans of this site.

I give the creator credit for understanding how to use a mass communication medium. And, were the decision makers aware of the site, they may understand that these students posting do have strong feelings about this choice for making up a day.

Yet, the inability to articulate their feelings in a language that decision makers understand serves to play into the hand of the "Super intedant".

I'm hoping that these posts are not reflective of those whose future earnings will provide for my social security. 8)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  16. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

at least one of them has some sense! :hurray:
    Y'all do realize we can go for 5 hrs. on Saturday or 7 hrs. during spring break right?

17. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

yes i can read. you just can't please everyone and then there are those that will never be please no matter what is done. seems to be a lot of those people on here. if you don't want your kids to go to school, don't send them.

and we wonder what i wrong with our kids today.....

18. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

and just for the sake of argument, since it keeps being brought up...the "designated" inclement weather make-up days that are on the school calendar are Spring Break week. Oh and there is one other day listed, which has already passed (1/21). Which is what we did last year for snow days...

19. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Cogent and coherent. This is not representative of the majority of posts, alas.

20. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

well yes that would be unfortunate to lose money but i guess its all in what peoples priorities are.