Anyone use a chiropractor? Need help ASAP

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by pjb, Feb 2, 2010.

1. pjb

pjb Guest

I am going to a chiropractor for the first time. Here is my dilemma. I was told I would need 26 treatments. She took my insurance card and said "based on my deductible, services would cost me $2700". Based on my deductible??? I have a $2400 deductible. So, I asked her was my bill would be if my deductible was $1200. She said it would be about $900 less.

So, my question is..... is it routine practice to charge based on what your health insurance deductible is? It just doesn't make sense to me. Why should I be penalized for having a larger deductible?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

PJ

2. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

Chiros are quacks. You'd be better served to see a Witch Doctor.

3. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Have you considered seeing a physical therapist?

4. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

depends on the problem. I had better results from a Chiro than phys therapy and the co-pay was about the same.

5. pjb

pjb Guest

I'm wondering if I would be better off with a physical therapist, too. I'm basically doing just that except for the spinal adjustment. Unfortunately, our new insurance has a high deductible (HSA) so all expenses are out of pocket for awhile. I just feel like I'm being had although this dr. was recommended by someone one this list.

Paula

6. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go anywhere they "lock you in" for a certain number of visits. Been there, done that and felt totally ripped off. How do they know how many visits you need before they even work on you?

I see a chiro once in a while in Fuquay. Nice woman, her name is Marilyn Baird. I don't have her number on me but you can find her online easily.

7. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

Surely someone practices Voodoo in Selma.

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

You will see this type of thing at most, if not all chiropractors.

9. JustMe

JustMe Well-Known Member

chirpractor recommendation

I would recommend going to Dr. Ferez at Chiropractic Partners in Clayton for a 2nd opinion. He's very thorough and has helped me for several years (once after a car accident and regularly with a back/neck problem). 550-9355

10. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

That's the key to a chiropractors success.

11. pjb

pjb Guest

I'm starting to think I made the wrong decision here. My regular md wasn't any help which is why I thought about going this route. BUT, I don't want to have to keep going back over and over again the rest of my life! I just want my lower back pain to go away!

So, I'll tell them I don't want to be locked in for a certain amount of money and will pay as I go. If they won't do that, then I guess they're not on the up and up.

12. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

That is why I see Dr Baird when I need a chiropractor. I have some trouble with my neck because of an injury, and when I need her, I go.

I think some of them perform a great service as needed, but I have practically been stalked by one chiropractor who has my cell number.

Just make sure that if you do go, don't commit to long-term treatment if you don't want it.

13. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I see Dr. Williams and have great results...not locked in or whatever. My husband went to Dr. Ferez yrs ago and he also paid as he went.

14. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Dr Ryan Williams!!! 989-1888. Located in McGees X-Roads off of Old Roberts Rd. His practice offers chiropractic care and massage therapy. He definately has helped my back and shoulder problems. Plus there is a coupon in the Cleveland Clipper for $27.00 for an exam and x-rays. But get it now, it expires on Feb 19.

15. 4Christ

4Christ Well-Known Member

Actually, being charged based on your deductible makes perfect sense. That's why you have a deductible...

If services cost 3000 and your deductible is 2400, then you have to pay the first 2400. If your deductible is 1200 then you have to pay the first 1200. If after your deductible has been met your insurance covers, say 90% and you owe 10%, then what their office said makes sense.

Like this: your total services cost 3000. 2400 is deductible so there is 600 left of which you now owe only 10% ($60) your total out of pocket is 2460.

your total services cost 3000. 1200 is deductible so there is 1800 left of which you now owe only 10% ($180) your total out of pocket is 1380.

So in answer to your question, yes..it would be less. You are not being penelized, you are just being charged on the plan that either you chose or was supplied by your employer. Insurance is confusing, but you are not being had.

As far as asking to pay per visit, no chiropractor should have a problem with that. Often, pay plans are offered for the patients benefit, not the doctor's. You can never pay or be charged more than your insurance company charges you anyway. Your explanation of benefits that you get from your insurance company will insure that you can always see what your charges should be (that's why they send them to you).

Keep in mind that if for whatever reason you only get 1800 dollars worth of service you can only be charged 1800 dollars. You can't be charged for services you dont get.

Hope this clarifys the insurance end of it for you...

16. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

I pay cash for my chiro. No plan with a certain number of treatments either. To get started I paid for the xrays to be diagnosed. After that, my adjustments are $35 each visit. I would never lock myself into a "# of treatments" plan with a chiro and I choose to not have it filed with my insurance. I see a female chiro in Raleigh if you are interested you can pm me.

17. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

I second Dr. Ferez - I have been plagued with low back pain for about 10 years. Between the pain in my low back, hip and the pain running down my leg, I thought I would go insane. I went to Dr. Ferez for several months but considering the pain I was in, it was no wonder. The pain eased up to the point where I only had intermittent pain. That was about 3 years ago. Last year, I started a walking program and am slowly getting back into jogging. In the beginning, I would get a flare up - nothing that sent me back to the chiropractor. My sister told me about an episode on The Drs. where they were talking about tart cherry concentrate and its benefits. There is an ingredient in cherries that act as an anti-inflammatory. I figured what I was experiencing was inflammation so I decided to give it a try. I took 2 tablespoons per day for about a month. I have not had back, hip or the pain down my leg since then and this March will be one year. Oh, and I don't get back for a yearly adjustment.

18. bandmom

Most of the time if you have a bad problem, it will take several adjustments to get things back into alignment, what they're recommending sounds like a lot - but then, I don't know what type of problem you're having! I know at times I've had to go 2-3x's a week until the 'flare-up' gets back to normal.

But once they get it under control, depending on what the problem is - you will still have some follow-ups etc. Chiropractic care is not like just getting a prescription and having it go away in 10 days. Most likely whatever the problem is, it didn't happen overnight, so it normally takes awhile to get the pain to ease up and at times, it can even get worse as your muscles and body adjusts to the treatments. I hope you get to feeling better whatever choice you make.

I second Dr Ryan at McGees!:hurray:

19. bandmom

where did you find the tart cherry concentrate?

20. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I'd like to know too. Do tell. Sounds very interesting for sure.

Stephanie--mom to 7