Johnston Co. Schools Closed Feb 2, 2010

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Sherry A., Feb 1, 2010.

1. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

well you know they can't go to school during spring break. :mrgreen:

2. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

they did last year, and there was an equal amount of peeing and moaning up in herrraaahh.... :p

3. Tangerine

my point exactly.

4. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

mines too. :cheers:

5. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Well, for some families that use the school calendar, as posted, to make their plans, choose to vacation during Spring Break, plunk down a chunk of coin that is not refundable, or that the vacation in mind does not permit them to cut it short for the 9th, these folks are screwed over by an unyielding bureaucracy as found at Central Office.

As an example, airline tickets that are purchased that can't be changed without monetary penalty, costs the family. A family that is going on a week long cruise can't just transport themselves from the deck of a ship back to JoCo.

I would suggest that Good Friday, April 2, be used for the make up day, so as to not interrupt the following week.

6. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

its just a choice you make as a parent send or not whatever! Just wondering do I send in a note on Monday :) My kid hasnt missed the first day and Sat is youth day for duck hunting :jester:

7. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

I think Wulf makes the most sense on this issue. The issue isn't priorities or that school will be on a Saturday. Big deal. It's the fact that it's scheduled for THIS Saturday. Why not schedule it a later Saturday so that people actually have time to rearrange schedules if need be? I don't think Wulf's being unreasonable personally. Not everyone is going to be happy with any one snow day, but at least they could be given more than 4 days notice! JMHO.

8. Tangerine

so if it had been scheduled for a Saturday 3 or 4 weeks from now you'd be ok with that?

9. ccampbell

ccampbell Guest

Need comments for Herald story

I'm writing an article on the decision to make-up the snow day on Saturday for the Herald/Garner-Clayton Record. I'm looking for parents who'd be willing to give their name and thoughts on the districts decision for use in the paper. The questions are below; please email them to colin.campbell@nando.com or call me at 836-5768.

Thanks!

-how do you feel about having your kids go to school on Saturday? Did you have any family plans that will be cancelled?
    -do you think the school system gave adequate notification, or should the make-up be at a later date?
    -would you rather lose spring break days or go on a Saturday? What would you think of going later into the summer as an option?
    -are you considering keeping your kids out of school on Saturday? Do you know of anyone who is?

10. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

As I don't have children I really don't have a dog in this fight, but here is a novel idea. The school calender is released well in advance and the days are marked that will be used for make-up SHOULD they be needed. So why don't parents NOT make plans based on the fact that these days may or may not be needed as make-up.

To me if is sounding as if the parents are being selfish, due to the fact that they went ahead and made plans not knowing what the future holds for required make-up days, and that the fact that already known possible make-up days might cut into their plans (which were made with out the ability to see the future for what may or may not be needed)

11. sassymom

I have my calendar in front of me and here are the days listed for inclement weather days:
    1-21
    4-9
    4-8
    4-7
    4-6

no where is it listed 2-6

12. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Are you saying parents should never schedule family vacation for spring break? That's when the majority of make up days are.

13. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

I knew you would post something like this.....I think complaining over the lack of notice which is something realistic and reasonable vs your incessant whining over unrealistic things suggests a big difference. But that's just me. :mrgreen:

14. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

And, again, I have to ask why not 4-2 rather than 4-9. Using 4-9 has a much more adverse impact on most people's plans. Or is it that the Christian holiday of Good Friday take precedence? If so, I have to ask, how many people really do observe Good Friday in a fashion that is outside a usual Friday activity?

15. sassymom

very true! I agree with you I was just responding to the post! I also agree with luvgoose spring break is when most people have vacations so that it does not impact school! But like I said its up to the parents on whether they go or not!

16. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

You are still missing the point.......if you want to try to understand then let me know and I'll play along.

17. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

I think they should pick a random day in July. :jester:

18. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

What I'm saying is that if you know ahead of time when the incliment weather make up days will be, why would you even bother with making plans, knowing full well that those plans may very well get flushed down the drown due to weather as we have just had?

19. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

It should, other religious holidays are given precedence. It doesn't matter how folks observe it.

20. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

I wouldn't suggest changing spring break either. Use a Saturday if need be...but do it down the road when everyone can plan around it.