Johnston Co. Schools Closed Feb 2, 2010

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Sherry A., Feb 1, 2010.

1. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

In my mind, no religious holiday should be used as a guiding event for a school calendar.

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

it's not really hard to find a reason as to why this is being done. In less than 2 minutes on google here is the answer. Like it or not.

Taken from here.

http://www.theselmanews.com/default...bname=&pform=&sc=1363&hn=theselmanews&he=.com

3. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

4. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Why not have made that point when the district was first developing the calendar for the school year? Seems like this complaint comes a little late.

5. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

But to count them absent for observing their religion would then be a slippery slope, no? They could be excused absences that do not count against their attendance, is this how it works now?

6. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Seems like any respectable business would work with you on rescheduling or refunding a deposit given the situation.

7. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

:nopity:

If the school system skips Christmas break, they can end the semester by Dec. 31st and take off the first two weeks of January. That would certainly make more sense to the academic calendar since religious holidays should not guide when they have days off.

:rolleyes:

8. Hatteras6

Absence for religious observance should be excused. Scheduling around one particular religious belief should not be the m.o.

9. Hatteras6

I make this point every year. What is popular isn't always right. What's right isn't always popular.

10. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

Well this Saturday we'll have to be excused for practicing Wulfotology Services at the House of Wulf.

11. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

sporting events will not be changed for 1 school district and some businesses have a very strick no refund policy!

12. Cleopatra

We *are* in the Bible Belt. :lol:

13. Hatteras6

Try telling that to the airlines, cruise, or hotel industry. Not so sure you'd get the result you sought.

14. Hatteras6

Craig,

thanks for the link.

I do have a dog in this fight.

What if we underwent a string of weather related school closings, post Spring Break, say a 7 day period where school was canceled? Would the makeup days then not conflict with the 5 consecutive day rule, or push us past the June 10 deadline? We have have other types of weather related events, not just snow that impacts us.

15. CraigSPL

Seems to me this comes down to a simple point, what is more important? The fact that your kid plays in his sporting event or the fact that your kid gets his education.

Personally if I were a teacher I'd make it known tomorrow in class that there would be a test on Saturday, and those failing to show up would automatically fail said test, as it is akin to skipping school/class.

16. Hatteras6

Yes, and slavery used to be the norm, and was protected by many in the pulpit. Did that make it right? There formerly were laws on the books against interracial marriage, or outlawing the deeding of land or property to persons of color. Does that make it right?

17. CraigSPL

This has actually happened in the past and those days that exceeded what we were allotted to make up were indeed added to the end of the school year. However this was also while I was in school, and we didn't have as many off days during the school year as now and the school year ended earlier than it does now.

18. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

I agree with you but now my frustration lies with the state not this Croom character. My apologies to the Croom lovers out there.

19. Cleopatra

Hat, I'm not saying I agree with it - just pointing it out.

I agree with ncmom and Winter Break. It was absolutely ridiculous for Winter Break to go on, and then the High Schoolers take their exams, and then some had almost another two weeks off if they did not have EOCs. Unfortunately I think their solution would be to have the kids start school in July.

20. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

I know you have me on ignore but that is quite a stretch.