Promoting obesity or Rock on, girl!?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Cleopatra, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

2. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

So in pounds that would be about 176 lb,at 5' 10" that sure don't sound like obese to me.

3. TVfan

TVfan Active Member

Maybe she will encourage more girls to get out there and be more active.

Cleopatra: Love, love, love your avatar. one of my favorite movies. could watch it a thousand times and still laugh.:)

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I think she looks pretty but I would prefer they didn't have the bathing suit portion of these contests. We beauty queens do have brains. :mrgreen:

Sherry

5. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I'll guarantee the snack bar will be busy at this pageant.

6. AnnetteL

When are you actually considered obese? At how many pounds?

7. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Thanks TVfan, me too!

The article states that she eats well, exercises regularly - jogs, swims, and works out with weights. If that is true this girl is going to have a lifelong battle with her weight. I don't envy her.

8. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

She looks a lot heavier than 176 pounds to me at 5'10". In answer to the question, more power to her if she's comfortable in her own skin I guess, as long as she really is healthy (which I would question).

9. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Generally, 20% above your ideal weight is considered obese. What your ideal weight is, that's another issue! :lol:

10. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

If you go by the governmental standards, then there is a lot of folks that are overweight and obese. If your body mass index is higher than 30 you are considered obese.

I really don't believe that she is just 176 pounds...not at 5'10" in height.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  11. KDsGrandma

Have to agree with that, she is well over 200 if she's really 5'10".

Here's a helpful article on obesity, including info on BMI.
    http://www.holisticonline.com/remedies/weight/weight_obesity-introduction.htm

12. 4ME2KNOW

4ME2KNOW Well-Known Member

She does look to be a size 16 or 18 to me and in my opinion NOT obese. I'm glad someone has the guts to have such confidence in a size 0 world (which IMO is NOT a size!)

If I knew her, I would advise her to rethink her swim suit choice. That top is not so flattering. Other than that...ROCK ON GIRL!!

13. AnnetteL

:iagree:
    1 stone=14lb x 12=168 plus 8lb.=176lb.
    I'm 5' 8" and weigh 139lb.,how about the rest of you? ;)

14. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

That sounds like a really healthy height/weight combo. No way that chickie is only 176.

15. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Muscle weighs more than fat pound for pound. So really the BMI scale can be a bit misleading. A person who loses a lot of weight then puts on muscle will see their weight go back up, but are still physicially fit. I've heard it said that your waist size (pants size) is a better indicator to your health than your weight. Watching your weight will drive you crazy as it fluctuates daily.

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

There is no way she "only" weighs 176.

17. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

According to every diet book I've read and every health magazine, my ideal weight is anywhere from 118 - 145 pounds. That's a huge range! For me, I feel my best when I'm between 124 -128 pounds. We all have our comfort weight. I'm a little obsessive though I have to admit. I refuse to buy the next size up pants and I haven't for 7 years (other than maternity stuff!) It's a great incentive to keep my weight down. I can't afford to buy new clothes every year. I just workout and eat less when I can't button those pants.:lol: It works everytime!

18. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This was 5' 10" Tyra Banks at 161 pounds before her weight loss. This woman's purported weight is just 15 pounds more? Of course, I don't mean it as ridicule but her statements seem like someone who is still not comfortable sharing her true weight.

19. KDsGrandma

Maybe she weighed 176 the last time she got on a scale - whenever that was. :lol:

20. AnnetteL

:iagree:I've been wearing the same size Levis for I don't know how long,as soon as that button get's hard to close it's time too slow down.How tall are you ;)?