What do you know about Charleston?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by shygrrl, Feb 4, 2010.

1. shygrrl

shygrrl Well-Known Member

We are thinking about going for DS's b-day in late February. Is there plenty to do there in the winter? I have never been!

2. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

We prefer Savannah over Charleston. Worth the additional drive as there is so much more to do and see.

3. shygrrl

How much further is Savannah? Is that where the Paula Deen place is?

4. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Wasn't really that impressed by it,especially not by some of the neighborhoods you had to drive thru before getting to the actual historical part.
    Savannah is about 4 hours and 45 min. compared to Charleston which is a little over 4 hours.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  5. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

I love Charleston! There's plenty to do in the winter. We went there for our Honeymoon in January 10 years ago. Of course, we stayed in the room a lot but we did go shopping and there were some really good restaurants. There's a restaurant called Hyman's that's awesome. I've been back to Charleston several times since. If you like shopping, it's great. We've driven to Savannah from there too. It's not that bad of a trip, but I think there's more going on in Charleston than Savannah.

6. Hatteras6

My experiences with Charleston ( within the last 2-3 years) are exactly opposite of yours.

We've never had a bad time in Savannah. The horse drawn carriage rides are nicer, as Savannah has more to see, do, and learn about. Other than Old Charleston, South of Broad, and Fort Sumter..not much else.

There are several great restaurants in Savannah, especially the Lady and Sons. There is also the Crab Shack, on the way to Tybee Island, and Uncle Bubba's. Our favorite place of all is Bernie's on River Street. River Street in itself is a treat. City market is a pedestrian area, in downtown that has some neat shops, restaurants, and other things to do.

7. peekaboo

peekaboo Well-Known Member

If you go to Charleston...

eat a Sticky Fingers (in downtown area or in Summerville). It has the BEST ribs! They are smokey and you can order dry rub or with sauce. I loved the dry rub! I lived in Summerville for awhile which is about 20 minutes away or so from Charleston. Hyman's is good, but sometimes there is a waiting time to get in. Their Crab Shacks have the best FRESH crunchy shrimp (cocktail). The historical horse rides is a most. Also they have an abundence of arts and crafts in tents in downtown Charleston. This is a good time to go because those tents get HOT in the summer. Where I lived in Summerville there were so many pink. purple, and white flowers that it looked like paradise to me. Enjoy your time there!

8. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

SC or WVa ?

9. OutdoorPlay

OutdoorPlay Well-Known Member

Never been to Savannah, but Charleston has alot of military history. The USS Yorktown is there, Fort Sumter, and the Citadel, . The historic carriage rides are great and you may like Bubba Gump Shrimp Company Restaurant. Also we did the Ghost Walk tour. Our favorite part was the houses because they are shotgun houses. I wish we had time to tour a plantation.

10. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

If you want Sticky Fingers you can go to Wilmington or Myrtle Beach also.

11. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

True :lol: Charleston has plenty of restaurants that are unique to the area. Sticky Fingers is a franchise. I do like Sticky Fingers though!

12. roca1216

roca1216 Well-Known Member

Charleston has a lot of nice restaurants and bars. 82 Queens is a nice restaurant and historic. I heard Middleton Place is nice. If you would like to get away and just relax. Its a nice place to visit. I would check to see if the market is open because its really not much to do but walk around. Not much for driving around.

13. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I do too, and the restaurant isn't bad either. :lol:

Oh - and I hate your new avatar

14. Hatteras6

Savannah has tons for the history buffs. Why go to a Bubba Gumps when you can go see where they filmed Forest Gump? The park bench that Tom Hanks sits on for much of the movie was located in Savannah, near Chippewa Square. The fiberglass bench he sat on has since been removed and placed into a museum to avoid being destroyed by the weather. The church where the feather first falls is about 100 yards just down the street from his bench. The bench is currently held in the Savannah History Museum, Savannah, Georgia.

The horse drawn carriage tours offer a great deal of information and touristy stuff for a great price. Google savannahcarriagetours with discount for online reservations...

Savannah has the Wormsloe plantation and also the UGA Marex at Skidaway, where marine ecological research is carried out. Small public aquarium here, also.

Savannah has several ghost tours, even the cemeteries where some of the movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" was filmed..

There is plenty to see and do in Savannah. YMMV, but I'd pick Savannah over Charleston any day of the week and twice on Saturdays.

15. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

Charleston has better looking women.

16. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I don't know anything, but I hope ya'll have a GREAT time!!!

17. shygrrl

Thanks for all the advice. I just found out we will be able to go ALONE so wherever we end up will be just fine!!! :mrgreen:

18. roca1216

roca1216 Well-Known Member

See if the Gateway House Inn is still open. Thats where we stayed and you can have a private room outside the inn. 843-722-3969

19. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

20. shygrrl

Wow! That really looks like a nice place to stay but I just booked our room in North Charleston on Travelocity last night. I like to read the traveler reviews and choose a place with multiple good opinions. Thanks tho!!