Free Printer

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by brea7347, Feb 4, 2010.

1. brea7347

brea7347 Well-Known Member

We have an all-in-one printer we are giving away. I am going to post it for free on Craigslist this weekend, but I thought I would offer it up here first to my fellow 4042ers. I thought maybe someone here might know how to repair it or Staples is offering a trade-in of $50 towards a new printer.

It is a Canon ImageClass MF5500 black and white laser printer/copier/fax. It works fine except that the paper jams frequently. It is also not compatible with Windows 7. The toner cartridge is fairly new as well.

If anyone would like it, please let me know!

2. tatertot36

tatertot36 Well-Known Member

I would like to get this from you and see if we can make it work for our Cub Scout pack. Just let me know when and where.

Karen

3. brea7347

That's great! I'll pm you with the info.

4. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

We used to have a lot of problems with paper jamming in our laser copier at church, and they told us it was the paper. We now use paper that specifically says "laser" on the box, or one that says 99.9% jam-free, and we keep it in a plastic container to make sure it doesn't get any moisture, and we no longer have the problem. Just FYI, for whoever gets the printer.

5. brea7347

That's a real possibility since I have always used the multipurpose paper. I always thought the paper labeled for specific things was just a marketing tool so they could get more money, but I guess I was wrong! :oops: Hopefully that is the problem and it will work just fine!

We would have gotten rid of it anyway since it is not compatible with Windows 7 and I'm glad it's going to a good cause!

6. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

We had to do the same thing. We gave our printer to the MIL. We got a new mouse the other day and we had to download a new driver for it to work with Windows 7. We got to thinking.. Wonder if all the old printer needed was a new driver too?
    :confused:

7. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

If it's more than a couple of years old, there may not be a driver available that would work on Windows 7.

8. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

ooOOOoh... yeah, it was probably 3 or 4 years old..

9. brea7347

Did you get my pm on Thursday? Please let me know if you still want the printer. Thanks!