Another call for comments for newspaper story

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ccampbell, Feb 4, 2010.

1. ccampbell

ccampbell Guest

I think this got lost in the middle of another thread, so forgive me for posting it again. Since there's already been a very lively debate on this, feel free to just send me the comments you've already made; just include your name.
    --
    I'm writing an article on the decision to make-up the snow day on Saturday for the Herald/Garner-Clayton Record. I'm looking for parents who'd be willing to give their name and thoughts on the district's decision for use in the paper. The questions are below; please email them to colin.campbell@nando.com or call me at 836-5768.

Thanks!

-how do you feel about having your kids go to school on Saturday? Did you have any family plans that will be cancelled?
    -do you think the school system gave adequate notification, or should the make-up be at a later date?
    -would you rather lose spring break days or go on a Saturday? What would you think of going later into the summer as an option?
    -are you considering keeping your kids out of school on Saturday? Do you know of anyone who is?

2. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

sounds like you are trying to stir up the pot. LOL
    Regards, Grandpa to 6

3. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

My daughter goes to Clayton High and says from what she hears from the students, it will be a ghost town there on Saturday!

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Yes, mine states the same. I guess some teachers are doing something on the internet so if a child signs in they are counted.

Sherry

5. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

My daughter goes to WJHS and said teachers are telling them to "recommend" they come BUT that the front office will NOT count you as absent if you don't come. What?! This is just stupid all around. In computers, I'm told they will play games the entire time. Ohter classes are figuring out what they'll do as there won't be many there. My kids have to go on Saturday as we have plans. Told them sorry but one day won't kill you. Just was hoping they would have actually learned something that day at school instead of play games or do nothing. Oh well. Waiting to hear what my middle schoolers will tell me they're going to do that day. Should be interesting.

Stephanie--mom to 7

6. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

When I was growing up it was understood that spring break was for making up any time missed because of the weather. My parents didn't make plans that could not be changed and they never seemed to have a problem with it.

7. crunchymom

crunchymom Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is really pleased about Saturday school, but they don't want to give up their spring break time either. I don't really foresee teachers being able to use the day to introduce any new curriculum, since they'd have to reteach everything on Monday to all of the students that were not in attendance. However, I do think it's a good day for remediation for struggling students. I hope that both teachers & parents take advantage of that opportunity.

8. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

My fourth grader says the teacher told them to ask the parents if they had to come in. Made it sound optional. My fifth grader was told that if they don't come in they would get an "F" in the things they are supposed to do in class. As far as how much weight what they say carries...consider the source (they are only 9½ and 11)

Mine are going. I remember having to go on a Saturday myself. It didn't kill me.
    If I had the option, I'd choose getting out late in May or first of June...trading it for "spring break". ...Maybe I've blocked out out, or just don't remember..but I don't recall getting a "spring break" But I do remember getting out on or before my birthday, which is June 3rd.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  9. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

You make them go or you don't. Not that much to discuss. What's one Saturday to avoid disrupting Spring Break?

10. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Okay, that is just annoying if it is true. I asked DS about it and he must not have those teachers because he knew nothing of it. If they are going to do that, then at least do it across the board.

As for attendance and being absent, how are the schools going to handle the high volume of students who will need to turn in a parent note and get a pass to class on Monday morning? If there are that many not going, it will take most of Monday morning to get them all admit slips....unless they are not going to worry about it. Just another thing I wonder about...

11. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Mine is staying home.

12. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

My opinion is probably not the popular one, but here goes....

I just don't think it's that big of a deal. It's one day. I know there's a huge soccer tournament in town this weekend and a lot of people have already pre-paid and are upset about it, but the way I see it is this: Either send them or don't. If you have plans already, keep them home. If you don't, send them.

We all miss days of work (or in this case school) for weird reasons. Shoot, I take my oldest out of school one day a year to just hang out and shop with me. It's like a mental health day. They're allowed 4 abscences per 9 weeks before they are in danger of failing, so if your kid still has days left, and you had plans, keep 'em out.

13. JoCoREZ

JoCoREZ Well-Known Member

I do not get it

It is one day........ They had a four day weekend.......... they got to play in the snow...........

Honestly, I think a bigger problem with the school system is the AMOUNT of days they get off during the year. I do not think they go two or three weeks without a day off.

And do not even get me started about the fact that my smart child sits at home two days during the week because he passed all his end of quarter tests so the the failing kids can RE-TAKE the tests they failed. WTHeck?

Heck yeah my kid is going to school on Saturday! Sometimes life is not fair, the quicker they learn that the quicker they will mature.

14. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I agree with Jen and JoCoREZ.

I have two school-age kids. One 15 and the other in kindergarten (Thing I). The 15YO, whether he likes it or not is going tomorrow. Even though he is sick today, I think in anticipation of being sick tomorrow (I mean, come on - it's a cold - but that's another story), he should be refreshed and all ready to go on Saturday. :) We have no plans, he has no job - what's he going to do? Lay around and play video games or watch TV? No, he can go to school.

Thing I and Thing II are scheduled to go to their dad's whom they only see every other weekend so Thing I will not go to school.

15. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

school open= my kids are there.

You ABSOLUTELY are counted absent if you are not there.

16. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Fuel to the fire.....the high school offers make-up days so students can make up some of their absences. Here is the policy:
    Academic Recovery is used for the sole purpose of erasing excessive absences in a teacher's class. These sessions will be held on select Thursday nights and Saturday mornings. Students will report to the cafeteria for each recovery session.
    Students who have acquired more than 8 absences in a class must attend an Academic
    Recovery session.
    ** 1 hour = 1 absence recovered in a class **
    Students must be present at the beginning of the Academic Recovery Session. If a student is recovering fewer than 4 hours, they will be allowed to leave the session early. No one will be allowed to enter the session late. Doors will be locked 10 minutes after the start of the session.

So...if the students can't make it tomorrow, they can always attend another Saturday (or Thursday evening) when they have time to schedule it in advance!

17. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

I do believe atleast one day will be taken from spring break anyway for the other day that they were out. So they have 2 make up days. My kids tell me the same thing about them not really doing anything. But I do agree that 5 hours won't kill them. IMO only, they should do another 5 hour Saturday to avoid having the spring break interrupted on April 9th. Again, IMHO only!:)

18. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Truth

19. ccampbell

ccampbell Guest

Thanks for the comments...would any of you mind giving your names so we can use your thoughts in the paper? No need to blow your online anonymity, just email me at colin.campbell@nando.com

Thanks again

20. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Colin,

Oh, to have anonymity! LOL

Most everyone knows who I am anyway....

Jennifer Konkol
    DaisiLou@aol.com if you need clarification....lol