UNEMPLOYMENT DOWN!!!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Typical Liberal, Feb 5, 2010.

1. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Bunch of cr@p. Bunch of lies to fuel the economy and get people like you excited!

2. YOU SHOULD WORK FOR FOX NEWS

3. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

Is unemployment down ... or is it just that less people are filing for unemployment benefits because they've already exhaused those?

4. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

TL is a good poster. Keep up the good work !!!

5. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

we need more TL.

6. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I totally agree with Melynda............ Lots of people have exhausted their unemployment and therefore are not counted anymore, such as my son, and my brother who cannot get unemployment because he gets military retirement benefits. Sorry to burst your bubble!

7. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I agree. I know of two folks this happened to.

Reminds me of when the company I worked for moved their debt around, and then said we had higher earnings for the year.

8. Panther Crazy

Panther Crazy Well-Known Member

And from what I'm hearing on the news, the unemployment rate is measured by the number of NEW unemployment insurance filings. I also heard on the news that many companies are simply phasing out certain jobs altogether, which would also bring the numbers down.

9. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Actually, new filings is a separate statistic, stated separately from the unemployment rate. The unemployment rate is not based on filings at all, although most people seem to think that it is. The BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics) does a survey of households to determine the unemployment rate - both the total number of people in the work force, and the number not working but actively seeking employment go into those calculations. So a decline in the unemployment rate can result from more people finding jobs, but it can also result from people who are out of work becoming discouraged and not seeking employment - either way, they are no longer considered unemployed. People who are working part time and trying to find full time employment are also not considered unemployed.

As the president said, the decline in the unemployment rate is not cause for celebration. Far too many people are still out of work. Furthermore, one month decline could be a statistical blip, followed by an increase the next month. The other report that came out at the same time, on job growth, showed a loss of 20,000 jobs, so it seems to me the only explanation for the decline in unemployment is an increase in the number of discouraged workers. I don't see that as good news. I think economic conditions are improving, slowly, but we have a long way to go.

10. Lucidity

Lucidity Well-Known Member

Highly unlikely. Folks have exhausted their benefits and have "found" jobs just to put food on the table.

The real number would more likely be any where from 15 to 20% nationwide.

Obama....McCain..we we would still be in the same boat. Corrupt over spending government with fat, dumb and complacent Americans. We have a long way too go.

11. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

People are scared at what Comrade Obama will propose next. If he would just S T F U for a few months and stay out of the way of a camera, things would get better.

12. KDsGrandma

Are we headed in the right direction? A picture is worth 1000 words.

[​IMG]

We still have a long way to go, even after we stop the bleeding, but I think we are headed in the right direction.

13. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

a chart from a left wing blog.....seriously?

Even if those stats were accurate, growing the public sector doesn't help the economy.

14. KDsGrandma

The numbers come from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Seriously.

15. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

As his gloom and doom dreams are dashed I am sure we are going to be told repeatedly that the only data he will trust has got to come directly from FOX.

16. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

I know that....I'm amused that you continue to show us how liberal you are by linking stuff that is found on commie blogs.

Funny how the congress that is in place now was in place then but you won't hear that from the pundits. Somehow they will want you to believe Bush created the problem and now Obama is "fixing" it.

As I have said for over a year now.....the market is cyclical and it's the fault of the federal government that we even had a credit crash.

17. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

dashed? I have a 401K and a job like the rest of you morons. I just hope inflation doesn't cancel out any gains I may or may not earn over the next couple years.

18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Based on some of the vitriol you spew I am not sure you really believe your 401 is more important than achieving your political objectives.

19. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

On the contrary, if I didn't have any monetary interest I would be rather flippant towards politics.