Neat story to share...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Feb 5, 2010.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I have to tell you guys a most interesting little story. If I were still writing for the paper, this is the sort of thing I would have written about.

I found a book in my mother's things. It's William Golding's "The Scorpion God". It's a first edition print, that's in excellent condition, and is inscribed and signed by Golding.

I knew it was worth something, so I had it appraised. I was super excited because it was worth a few hundred bucks... Let me tell you, after the month we've had, we could sure use it! After the apprasial, I got curious about who it was inscribed to. A few internet searches later, I found that it was actually inscribed to the parents of Golding's daughters husband. So it was an heirloom of sorts.

I found Golding's son-in-law (whose parents the book was inscribed to) and he's some fancy schmancy professor. I verified that it indeed belonged to his parents and had been a gift from Sir William Golding. He offered to buy it back from me for his mother, who is still alive. I refused. How can I sell something back to them, that doesn't belong to me to start with?

I'm mailing it back to it's rightful owner today, and including this little note as to how it came to be in my possesion....

Continued below due to size.....

2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

This is AWESOME!!

3. misy68

misy68 Active Member

What happened? Where's the rest of the story?

4. 4ME2KNOW

4ME2KNOW Well-Known Member

After reading this story I heard a voice in my head say:

Hello, Americans.
    This is Paul Harvey.

You know the news, in a moment,
    you're going to hear The Rest of The Story!!

:) Looking forward to hearing it!

5. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Jen,
    Thanks for finally coming forward. I've shared this story, minus the identifying details a lot since we talked. I'm proud of ya, kiddo. Youre a bright spot in our community, that's for sure.
    Blessings!
    H6

6. misy68

misy68 Active Member

:p

7. JenniferK

I swear, I'm trying to tell the rest of the story, but 4042 hates me today, I keep getting my IP blocked....hang tight, I'll finish it as soon as I can!

8. misy68

misy68 Active Member

You're killing me!!!:p I have to hear the rest.

9. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Gee, I thought Nevilock liked you. :lol::lol::lol:

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

If his trash removal services are for hire, I am interested................................J/K!!!! Too bad we can't vote 'em off though. Oh, wait.........I might get voted off. :jester:

11. JenniferK

Ok seriously, I've tried all weekend to post the rest of this story, and 4042 apparently hates me.

It simply will not let me copy and paste the letter I wrote to Mrs Carver, so here is a shortened version of the story of how I came into possesion of the book....

My stepfather died in 2000. After his death, I helped my mother pack up both of their belongings, ship some things off to charity, some to storage, and some with us. Mother decided to come live with me. In one of those boxes, was this book. I never really thought anything else of the book until just recently when I placed Mother in an assisted living facility. While cleaning through her bookcases, I stumbled upon the book and asked her about it.

She recalled that it had belonged to my stepfather. Prior to their marriage, he'd lived with a woman named Sharon. For all intents and purposes, they were common-law man and wife. Sharon never married my stepfather because she was still receiving alimony from her ex-husband who was a professor somewhere in South Carolina. All mother knew of him was that he was thought to be an oddball. Apparently he gave this book to Sharon as a gift, and when Sharon passed away, my stepfather kept it.

I started looking for a Terrell Carver and found her son. With a little conversation back and forth, we realized that this book was apparently lent by her husband, to a colleague in South Carolina. This was probably Sharon's ex-husband. Herr son offered to buy the book from me, but I wouldn't sell it to him. To be perfectly honest, it's not mine to sell.

So...I sent it to her, with this long note, and this weeked I just got a very nice thank you note from 89 year old Mrs. Carver recalling when her husband had lent the book out.

12. JenniferK

To be perfectly honest, I probably would have donated the book to Basic Needs, but something told me to look inside which is where I found the inscription. Knowing that signed books are worth more, I had it appraised.

It was worth several hundred dollars, and I was pretty psyched to sell it, but I'm glad I researched it first. And I'm glad that it's back where it belongs.

Just goes to show you that not everything is face value huh?

13. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

That is very cool.

14. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

As I said, Jen, you're a bright spot of our community. One of our points of light!

15. JenniferK

Hatt, you're sweet. But I just did the right thing.

I think the story itself is more interesting than anything else. I took pictures of the book and the inscription before I mailed it off, have the email from Mrs. Carvers son, a copy of the letter I sent her, and of course the thank you note she sent back this weekend. I think I'm going to put it all together in a scrapbook. It'll make an interesting table book, don't you think? LOL

16. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

very cool story Jen, what a great ending!!

:cheers:

17. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Is that who blocked mine for several days? :mrgreen::jester::mrgreen:

Sherry

18. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

You did the right thing. Very awesome story. You know that we have been going through things and getting appraisals but your story puts an even softer spot in my heart for you.

Sherry

19. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

That is a wonderful story Jen. Thanks so much for sharing it.