Are you a vegetarian?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by veggielady, Feb 10, 2010.

1. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

How tender was it?

2. BondGirl

BondGirl Guest

That was jerky (no pun intended), but hilarious :lol:

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

One of the hardest habits to break (for me) is processed, packaged meat due to convenience. Of course, we live in times where convenience foods are looked upon favorably because most people feel that they are too hurried. I am at a stage in my life where I don't want to give up meat completely. I like a hot dog once in awhile and I don't like turkey substitutes that much. I love a good steak or a juicy hamburger. I could down a NY-style slice of pepperoni pizza right now. But, I also consider the potential consequences to eating meats with heavy preservatives or the growing evidence of chargrilled meat fat drippings creating carcinogens within the meat itself as it cooks. I find that as I'm getting older, I am retrying vegetables that I used to not care for. Speaking of pizza, my family actually ordered a complete veggie pizza last night for the first time, so the timing of this thread is a bit ironic. Some vegetables I still don't care for, but some I have grown to like on occasion. My diet is certainly not the most healthy, but I have at least begun to question what I decide to chew and swallow and I see that as progress.

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Fiber doesn't process properly.

5. veggielady

veggielady Guest

Sherri A: No editing is necessary & I didn't think much of their meaning "no harm." My post is probably more serious than most of the topics on here; maybe I've misjudged the intelligence on this discussion board.

I think there are more vegetarians in the area than you know, judging by the organic foods I see at Lowe's Foods in Clayton.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Well, that's good way to win friends and influence people. They were just having a little fun, no need to get the britches in a wad. Most folks on here would give the shirt off their back, how about you get to know 'em before you start to insult 'em. Just saying. :cheers:

7. veggielady

veggielady Guest

Right on, Jester. Most start to make this change gradually. I've been where you are; so is my hubby. But the incremental changes add up immeasurably over time. Thanks for your honesty. :)

8. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I know a few people who buy organic food due to allergies.

Sherry

9. veggielady

veggielady Guest

Hught: I'm sorry about that. I guess I don't have any answers to that, but then I'm NOT an expert at this. Sometimes, docs do know what they're taking about. Take care with that.

10. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Mmmmm, that looks soooooo good.

Think I'll thaw out some venison steaks for dinner.

11. veggielady

veggielady Guest

kdc: maybe you need to look at who insulted who FIRST & then judge.

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

LOL................okey dokey then. I tried. Carry on.

13. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

what does "initial" pot luck mean? what happens after that?

14. veggielady

veggielady Guest

Sherry A: Yes, that's due to all the pesticides & growth hormones & who knows what else that are rampantly used in the meat & poultry industries today. Many people who are sick with certain allergies & illnesses don't even give a thought to the foods they are consuming. In a lot of cases, food should be the first place to look. Did you know that many allergies are caused by dairy products? That's why vegans don't eat dairy or any animal source foods either.

I'm outta here for the day. PM me, OK?

15. veggielady

veggielady Guest

KellBell: To see if there is any interest, and to see if there is any interest to keep going.

16. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

interest to keep having potlucks?

17. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

And if you don't find many vegetarians here, maybe you could try meatup.com.

Ah, I kill me.....

18. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Or people who just don't want to eat pesticides and hormones.

19. BondGirl

BondGirl Guest

Or they did like I did and read "Skinny ***** in the Kitch" :lol: (my experiment with organics lasted all of a week)

20. veggielady

veggielady Guest

KellBell: Yes!!