Dilemma...What would you do???

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by 4ME2KNOW, Feb 12, 2010.

1. 4ME2KNOW

4ME2KNOW Well-Known Member

So I purchased my husband one of those nifty back up cameras for his big ol truck so he can back up to his trailer. It's a wireless style and he loves it.

We have noticed however, that unbeknownst to others, we can see them if they have wireless camera systems. For instance, when we drive by a certain Subway, we can see all the sandwich artists making their subs or standing around doing nothing. There are a few other businesses that we can drive by and see inside do to their "security systems" (which aren't too secure to me if others can spy in on them!) .

Here's the dilemma....my husband was going through a neighborhood the other day and up on the screen popped a little girls room. She was playing having fun. My husband thought for a second that he should go up to the house and tell them so the family would know that their wireless camera style monitor for their baby was visible to anyone that had such a wireless camera system. He decided not to, thinking the Mom who was probably home alone with her daughter would be creeped out. I think he should have told her and ever since I have wanted him to take me over there to let them know.

I would want to know....wouldn't you???? :allears:

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

My first reaction is that I "think" I'd want to know, but I am not sure how you could tell them without coming off as a stalker. :confused:

3. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

why dont you tell the mom instead of your hubby? that way it wont seem as creepy

4. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

He should definitely tell them.

5. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

+1

leave him out of the story, too, other than it was his truck. say it was you driving by to decreepify even more. mother to mother.

6. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I would want to know - but I agree with wulf. You or both of you should go, but not him by himself.

7. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

DB has it right.

8. 4ME2KNOW

I think I will go over by myself and let them know. I'll let ya'll know how that goes. You never can tell how people will react.

9. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

Oh yeah.....TELL. Mom to mom. And, I guess if your husband went with you, if the dad of the little girl was home, they could meet and then he could take the dad and physically show him the problem. I know that if it was me, I'd be ever so grateful.....And relieved. :)

10. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I totally agree to tell! The sooner the better! Let us know how it goes.. How would one go about warning others that have video monitors?

11. ahlsmiles

ahlsmiles Well-Known Member

I agree with the other posters. Please report back how it went. Fingers crossed.

12. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

OMG Imagine if the mom doesn't know there is a video camera set up in her daughter's room...

Perhaps you could anonymize this...(is that a word?) Make up a flyer and say you're giving it to all the neighbors to call attention to the possibility that wireless cameras, such as the one you have, can pick up the video of other cameras inside people's homes. Say you discovered it when you got the new system but think others should be aware of what's possible...or something like that.

I don't know if there is a win-win here - you may get blasted but at least you've possibly prevented a pervert from doing anything...

I wouldn't trade places with you on this one. Good luck and let us know what happens.

13. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

I know I am quoting myself but I thought of something else. It may be a good idea to consult the police and maybe a plain clothes detective or someone and have them look at it with your husband and then go to the family with you. I know that's alot and may seem a bit much as there is no "law" that is being broken persay, but these days things with kids are SERIOUS and I for one would do it.

14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

It's Obama's fault, the Department of Homeland Security is running amuck.

15. 4ME2KNOW

Boston and God's child....you both gave me a whole different take on this. People are weird these days!!! You never know what could be going on behind closed doors.

I'm really thinking this one over now. Plus there is one problem that my husband brought up. Since this was in a neighborhood...there is no way of knowing which house it was. It would be easy to narrow it down to about 3 or four houses in that location but can you imagine us walking up to a couple of houses saying...excuse me...do you have a little girl and do you use a video monitor?

OMG!!!

16. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

...there has to be some way to get the word out... on the downside of that - all the pervs would know to go out and buy those type of cameras...

17. 4ME2KNOW

********UPDATE*********

Met a sheriff out in the neighborhood and showed him the video screen. He agreed it was really creepy. He went door to door as we waited in the truck. Finally found the house. We heard the Dad chuckle when the Sheriff told him about it. The Sheriff came back and told us the guy was grateful and we left.

I'm glad the family now knows.

Please tell all of you friends and family looking into a video monitor for their child that the frequency can possibly transmit out of the house.

I know that I will never buy one after this incident!

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

18. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Good job - nice way to handle it.

19. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

You'd think that home/business security cameras would be encrypted in some capacity, but I guess those baby/child room monitors are basic equipment. Not much different than many of the cordless phones from years ago.

20. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I am not following other than the fact that they are on the same frequency. What is anyone to do when they find out you can see them?