Buying Fabric

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Feb 16, 2010.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

2. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Must be yards. Look at the box at the upper left, it says they add an extra inch to every yard.

Normally, fabric is sold by the yard in the U.S., but it could be something different, that's why I looked for an indication on the site.

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Usually by the yard. 8)

4. AnnetteL

Thank you both-that was quick :)
    I think there's about 3 feet to a yard!?

5. KDsGrandma

Exactly.

6. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

I use to love going to the old fabric shops with my mom when I was little. They NEVER measured the fabric. They would pull it from the fabric roll to their chin while their head was turned to the side. They said that's how they measured a yard. I just thought it was the funniest looking thing!

7. KDsGrandma

My mother always measured fabric that way! The fabric store she usually went to did use a yardstick, they had one nailed to the counter, and they gave away free yardsticks. She always needed a new one every time she went, because she broke them on my bottom, and my brother and sisters' bottoms. ;)

8. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

I know you're not my sister! My mom did the same thing, on both counts!

9. AnnetteL

:lol: sorry I'm sure to you at the time it was not exactly a laughing matter ;)

10. AnnetteL

When I was a little kid I would always go to the wholesale leather store with my grand-uncle (he was a cobbler),I loved the smell in there!!