How to find a speeding ticket???

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DMJmom, Feb 16, 2010.

1. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Yes, her last name is smith, cant really mess that up!

2. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I'd think the NCSHP could help you regardless of what county or even if they or another law enforcement agency gave her the ticket. I can't imagine all traffic citations not being somehow cataloged in a database somewhere. I'd say call the highway patrol. Chances are it was a state trooper that wrote the ticket since most of the interstate passes through rural areas.

3. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Perhaps you blew up the system with Smith :)

4. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Last speeding ticket I got from N.C. Highway Patrol it took about 3 weeks to get in system. This was in Wake County in 2009. Not on I-95. When I called the court they advised maybe the SHP went on vacation or something before submitting the summons. In any event, unfortunately it finally showed up.

5. jtm

jtm Well-Known Member

If she's getting letters from lawyers, then the ticket was definitely in the computer system. If her name no longer shows up on the AOC search (the link provided earlier), then her court date has passed. 21 days after missing the court date, her license will be suspended in North Carolina (which may or may not affect her license in her home state), and a warrant for arrest may be issued (depending on the charge, though an arrest warrant would only be served if she were stopped in this state).

She needs to call one of those lawyers to find out where her ticket is, and maybe even use one of them to remedy the possible "failure to appear", and to dispose of the ticket.

6. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

I got as far as this and didn't read the rest of the posts so forgive if I'm repeating something someone else would have posted. Have her check to see what counties the attorneys who mailed her the letters are in. They would probably be from that county or in a neighboring city to the county. I can't imagine attorneys from distant counties sending solicitations.

7. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

and don't forget if you are using last name, first initial there is no space between the comma and initial and be sure to search under District Court

8. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Not always. My daughter was the passenger in a vehicle that was in an accident in Clayton. Within a week we started receiving packages and all from attorneys, some that we see on television commercials, none were local. We kept the calendars, ink pens and all but threw out the rest. I was shocked.

Sherry

9. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

They were looking for a big money personal injury case. Traffic tickets, by comparison, are pocket change; most of them are not going to travel far to handle traffic tickets. Next county, but not much more.

10. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Yep, didn't think of it that way. I was just surprised at our circumstance. The first day we received stuff from attorneys I was like.....what has the teen done for an attorney to be sending a big ole' package.

Sherry

11. arogronjomom

arogronjomom Well-Known Member

Wow. I just got my ticket on Tuesday (thanks, Officer Sharpe!) in JoCo and I'm already in there....I had no idea about that website, thanks for the info. And, I've received no less than 10 attorney solicitation letters so far....

12. thanks for going the extra mile in support of our county. keep up the good work.

13. arogronjomom

arogronjomom Well-Known Member

Oh, you're welcome. I eased up over the posted speed limit by 4 mph to do just that. I'm sure my $160 will make a HUGE difference. Good thing I finished my beer and buckled all four of my kids in before he pulled me. You and (all of) your irrelevant and unnecessary comments. Shutie.

14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

15. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Remember the holiday weekend and watch your speed, because as the media states, 'the state highway patrol will be out in full force.' Which really means they'll be working as hard as they can on Friday and Saturday because they will be severely understaffed on Sunday when mostly all LEOs want to be home. I highly suspect that they'll be doing their favorite new speed trap tactic of using LIDAR off the overpasses with chase cruisers lined up on the other side.

That USA Today article says it all, doesn't it? Its not about safety as much as it is the revenue in many locales and further evidence that a quota does exist. I'll be cranking up the volume on my V1 this weekend...and watching those tricky overpasses. If you're traveling to the coast toward Morehead, watch the 70/903 overpass in Lenoir County between Goldsboro and Kinston. That is a BIG TIME favorite for troopers.