Howell Woods?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Feb 19, 2010.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Has anyone here ever been there? Since it's supposed to be so nice on Sunday we're looking for something to do outdoors,unfortunately Clemmons is still closed otherwise that would be another possible place to visit.
    I checked out Howell Wood's website but was just wondering if anyone here been there before?
    Thanks!

2. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

We went one day when it was much warmer and had just rained...and so we were eaten alive by swarms of mosquitoes. It was terrible. But it looked like a really neat place, it should have been a great place to take the dogs for a walk, and the kids, but the wrong weather. They had some birds in outdoor cages. They had a few cabins that could be rented. The trails had some boardwalk areas which was cool for the kids even with the mosquitoes. And there were several people there with horses that day. If it is warm enough for bugs, just bring some potent repellant with you.

3. AnnetteL

Thanks for letting me know!
    It did look kind of swampy going by the website so maybe the best time to go would be now,before the mosquitoes come out.

4. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

We recently went to the White Tail Deer Park across the street from Lake Benson Park in Garner. Lots of walking trails and two play areas with funky equipment and stuff made of recycled materials. I totally reccomend checking it out.

DB's wife

5. AnnetteL

Thanks for mentioning it :),I completely forgot that they opened it not too long ago. I'm always looking for parks etc. that you can get to without having to drive for an hour or more first.

6. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Crowder Park down ten-ten
    not sure about the hours tho.

7. AnnetteL

Thanks! It sounds familiar,isn't it near Apex?

8. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about going to Howell Woods to try out their trails on my bike.

9. AnnetteL

Look out for our short dog if you go on Sunday ;)

10. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I'll keep my distance. I've had more smaller dogs go into 'attack mode' than big dogs. Daschunds are the worst so far. I had an incident a few months ago in which I thought my ankles were going to be taken off. I won't be going any time soon, but I'm adding it to my to-do list. Let us know what it's like out there. I know I'm curious because I want to find a good place to ride without being in danger of being run over by automobile traffic.

11. AnnetteL

Sorry about your bad experience with dachshunds,we got a dachshund but so far hadn't had any ankle incidents but I have heard about them being called ankle biters ;)

12. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Nothing to apologize for as I was teasing a bit. I've always liked dachshunds and I admire their spunk. Matter of fact, that's what we were looking for our son-- at first--as his first dog. We settled on a Basset because they have the hound traits, are said to have a more happy-go-lucky demeanor with kids and since they are more big-boned, I figured a basset would be a bit more rough-n-tumble with an eight-year old. Of course, much like the dachshund, bassets can have back problems. I'll have to say the biggest problem with our basset so far is we haven't been able to fill him up yet. He wants to eat all the time and of course a fat dog with short legs and a long back is clearly not a good thing.

13. AnnetteL

I know what you mean-even though ours is 11 years old she's still working on filling herself up ;)