Should priests be allowed to marry?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Feb 23, 2010.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I believe that catholic priests should once again be allowed to marry since I believe that this would hopefully eliminate most of the sexual abuse of children committed by some priests.

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I am not catholic, so I don't know about whether or not they should marry, but I highly doubt that would stop pedophiles. They get their jollies from children, not grown folks. That's the problem. :?

3. AnnetteL

You do have a point there!
    It does seem strange though that there is such a high rate of pedophiles amongst catholic priests.
    I'm not catholic either but I think that for them not to be able to marry is antiquated especially since once upon a time they were able to.

4. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

The last report that I read stated that about 4% of Catholics priests have been "accused" of pedophilia whereas 7% of the general public are accused of the same offense. Seems to me that that it has nothing to do with being married or not...there are married perverts out there too.

5. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

Little boys shouldn't marry......so no.

6. AnnetteL

Good point.

Let me just ask the question again but this time separately from the pedophile issue. Should they be allowed to marry?

7. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

I am Catholic, but more open minded than some and yes, I do think Priests should be allowed to marry, the same with nuns. I have felt this way for a long time. They are just like every one else and I feel they should be able to have a family like the rest of us. A lot of times people turn to the priest for guidance in their marriage so I think them being married woudl also help them to help others in this area. I personally feel there should be other changes in the church also, but I may be in the minority on them. Again, just my personal opinion.

8. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

All consenting adults should have the right to marry.

9. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I'm not catholic, but I recently had this conversation with a catholic, and she explained to me that priests do not marry because they wouldn't have time for the congregation and all the duties that ensued if they had a wife and kids.

I also understand that some priests are married, if perhaps they were episcapalian and then converted or something like that.

Protestant pastors still have time to take care of the congregation and a wife and kids...

So yes, I believe that priests should marry.

*I'll leave Hats comment alone, only because I love him....

10. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

I don't think the law references whether priests can marry....

11. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

With you 100%.

Sherry

12. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Protestant churches have different religions within the group. Maybe the Catholics want to stay apart from the others but they should relax some things.

Protestant churches receive offerings just like Catholics. Maybe you think the bowl being passed down the pew is a spittoon. :lol:

Sherry

Sherry

13. no gay get togethers

14. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

Food for thought:

1 Timothy 4:1-3

1The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth.

What authority does the Catholic Church recognize as ultimate, the Bible or the Pope/church tradition? Of course in many religions the Bible's counsel is taken as optional or outdated. (pre-marital sex, for instance) If a person believes there is a Creator, who decides when His rules are not good anymore?*

*Yes, there are prohibitions against eating certain foods, rules about animal sacrifices, etc. in the Old Testament. However, the Bible clearly makes known that with the establishment of Christianity and the death of Christ, the Jewish Law did not apply to Christians. See Colossians 2:13, 14.

15. 4&Counting

4&Counting Guest

I'm Catholic and I'm undecided on this. A lot of help I am, right? :lol:

16. 4&Counting

4&Counting Guest

I'm useless.

17. 4ME2KNOW

4ME2KNOW Well-Known Member

I'm not catholic but I watched an Oprah show on Nuns recently (I know this makes me an expert right!)...anyway they said they do not marry because they consider themselves the brides of Christ and focus on that relationship rather than a man. Not sure if Priests feel the same way...but it would seem to me according to Leviticus 21 (from the message Bible below) that priests AND the high priests were allowed to marry, as long as it was to a virgin.

Leviticus 21, 7-8 "Because a priest is holy to his God he must not marry a woman who has been a harlot or a cult prostitute or a divorced woman. Make sure he is holy because he serves the food of your God. Treat him as holy because I, God, who make you holy, am holy

Leviticus 21, 13-15 "He is to marry a young virgin, not a widow, not a divorcee, not a cult prostitute—he is only to marry a virgin from his own people. He must not defile his descendants among his people because I am God who makes him holy."

They were allowed to be married before so I think they should be allowed to be married again.....I tell you one thing. If they were allowed to get married...their wives wouldn't let them drink so much!!! Every Catholic wedding I have been to...the priest always gets plastered at the reception!!!:lol:

18. AnnetteL

Up until the First Lateran Council of 1123 catholic priests were allowed to marry and as part of the so called Gregorian reforms the practice was abolished.

19. 4&Counting

4&Counting Guest

It's taken the Catholic Church a long time to realize it needs to make some changes. (See Vatican II for examples of this...some major changes went down). This may happen, but I'm not sure any of us will live to see it.

20. redtangsoo

redtangsoo Well-Known Member

Priests not being allowed to marry was constituted because the catholic church saw how much it cost the church to support the priest and his family. More money for the church if priests didn't have so much overhead. that is it really.