What book are you reading?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ferrickhead28, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Reading a book on options trading.

2. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

It only took 9 hours to clip, organize, and glue the recipes kdc.... And the binders were spaced differently, so the pages did not fit. <sigh>

At least all I need now is a binder, then it is done. :)

4. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

you inspired me and i plan to organize 18 years worth during the wintery mix this weekend. :)

5. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Stephen King's Under the Dome. Should be able to finish all 1000+ pages by the time the wintry mix is gone!:jester:

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Good job! That is such a chore. We are trying to help my Grandmother with hers too. There is about 50 years worth. Unfortunatley, the best ones are in her head. Trying to get those written down to while she's still healthy. She'll be a newlywed again soon at age 77 though, so I hope she can fit us in her schedule. :mrgreen:

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I finished it in a couple weeks, of course the dust bunnies are threatening to take over. It was good though, better than some of his other stuff lately.

8. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

We bought Under the Dome the other day!

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Ya coulda just borrowed it from me!:jester:

10. stillcrazy

stillcrazy Guest

I just read "A Year Down Yonder" for my children's literature course and I loved it!! It's not just for kids. I think real children's literature does not compare to some of the crap our kids are reading. My daughter checked out a book the other week from the school library and I made her take it back. The word "sucks" kept coming up and a whole lot of other name-calling terms I didn't want my daughter to repeat. Some of these books are geared toward kids with short attention spans who watch TV all day.

11. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

Open invitation to stock the local library with "good literature"

You don't have to get on a board, get your library degree, or wait six months to get something done. Cleveland's community library accepts "mother approved books" and many times will help you get them ready to loan the same day you donate them. The library is open Monday evenings 6-9, Thursday evenings 6-9, and Saturdays 9-6. It is not open state holidays and during severe weather events.

The librarian asks that no condensed books, textbooks, popup books (books with sound chips or anything sticking out of the covers), or magazines be donated.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  12. nsanemom22

Horns - Joe Hill

13. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Proverbs 31:10-31 (New International Version)

10 A wife of noble character who can find?
    She is worth far more than rubies.

11 Her husband has full confidence in her
    and lacks nothing of value.

12 She brings him good, not harm,
    all the days of her life.

13 She selects wool and flax
    and works with eager hands.

14 She is like the merchant ships,
    bringing her food from afar.

15 She gets up while it is still dark;
    she provides food for her family
    and portions for her servant girls.

16 She considers a field and buys it;
    out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.

17 She sets about her work vigorously;
    her arms are strong for her tasks.

18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
    and her lamp does not go out at night.

19 In her hand she holds the distaff
    and grasps the spindle with her fingers.

20 She opens her arms to the poor
    and extends her hands to the needy.

21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
    for all of them are clothed in scarlet.

22 She makes coverings for her bed;
    she is clothed in fine linen and purple.

23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
    where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.

24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
    and supplies the merchants with sashes.

25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
    she can laugh at the days to come.

26 She speaks with wisdom,
    and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

27 She watches over the affairs of her household
    and does not eat the bread of idleness.

28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
    her husband also, and he praises her:

29 "Many women do noble things,
    but you surpass them all."

30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
    but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

31 Give her the reward she has earned,
    and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

14. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Just finished Kyle Mills "Darkness Falls". Probably gonna start on David Baldacci's "First Family" or maybe something a little lighter (and shorter) like Mitch Albom's "Have a Little Faith", depends how I'm feelin' and how much time I see in the immediate future.

15. GoWulfpack

GoWulfpack Guest

Stories from Home by Jerry Clower

16. david4042

david4042 Well-Known Member

start reading The 5000 Years Leap, committed, and Shanghai girls.....

17. KB2

KB2 Well-Known Member

Harlen Coben & more

For mystery/thriller Genre-

Harlan Coben (I've only read or listened to the stand alone books & they are very good, he also writes a series w/Myron Bolitar as the main character,never read any of them) These are all good:
    Just One Look
    No Second Chance
    Gone for Good
    The Innocent

Joy Fielding:
    See Jane Run (great page turner)
    Mad River Road
    Missing Pieces

Richard North Patterson:
    Silent Witness

Karin Slaughter (this is her "grant county" series & I've only listened to 1-3 so far)
    Blindsighted
    Kisscut
    A Faint Cold Fear
    Indelible
    Faithless

Other good books not nessasarily in the mystery/suspense genre-

Jodi Picoult (these are the ones I've listened to), but I imagine any from her are good)
    Vanishing Acts
    My Sisters Keeper
    Nineteen Minutes
    The Pact
    Keeping the Faith
    Salem Falls

We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (I actually listened to this on CD, & may not have made it through if I had been reading it because it was hard to get into at first, but turned out to be a very interesting if not a bit disturbing book,and very surprising also. Taken from Wikipedia "about a fictional school massacre. It is written from the perspective of the killer's mother, Eva Khatchadourian, and documents her attempt to come to terms with her son Kevin and the murders he committed. Although told in the first person as a series of letters from Eva to her husband, the novel's structure also strongly resembles that of a thriller")

Backroads by Tawni O'dell (interesting & odd & a bit racy but good. It is on Oprah's Book Club list. From Wikipedia "Harley Altmyer should be in college drinking beer and chasing girls. Instead he's marooned in the Pennsylvania backwoods caring for his three younger sisters after the shooting death of his physically abusive father and the arrest of his mother. His existence has become a joyless, exhausting blur of day care, mac and cheese dinners, working two minimum wage jobs, and monthly prison visits to a "once-devoted mother". Frustrated, overwhelmed, plagued by violent fantasies and trapped by feelings of love and duty, he's a guy in an impossible situation: an orphaned child with the responsibilities of an adult and the fiery, aggressive libido of a teenager. Life is further complicated when he develops an obsession with the sexy, melancholic mother of two down the road. Family secrets and unspoken truths threaten to consume him as his obsession deepens and she responds unearthing a series of staggering surprises"

Black & Blue by Anna Quindlen (Very good and a little sad, another Oprah's Book Club list. From Oprah.com "Fran tells a spellbinding story: how at nineteen she fell in love with Bobby Benedetto, how their passionate marriage became a nightmare, why she stayed, and what happened on the night she finally decided to run away with her ten-year-old son and start a new life under a new name."

Long car trips, work commute, treadmill/eliptical time & or jogging outside, great times to listen to books on CD or tape! Since having kids, this how I get most books read now. Though I still fit in a few by actually reading them. :)

KB

18. nsanemom22

Finished Horns yesterday. Started Under the Dome last night.

19. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Good book.:cheers:

20. how the hell you know.. TN people can't read can they?