Keeping Deer out of Garden

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by brea7347, Mar 4, 2010.

1. brea7347

brea7347 Well-Known Member

We now have almost 2 acres where we live and I am planning on a huge garden starting this year. The problem is, our property is surrounded by woods and there is a creek that runs on two sides. We have a lot of deer that live back there and see them in our yard all of the time. Does anyone have any tried and true methods of keeping deer out of your garden short of putting up a 12 foot fence? And, no, hunting them is not an option, we are in a neighborhood! :lol:

2. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

1) I have always heard to put Human hair around the perimeter.

Not sure that one works.

2) Just read somewhere that deer do not like eggs so make up an egg spray and spray around the perimeter.

It may work but can only imagine the smell and undesirables that will be attracted to it.

3. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I bought some spray stuff at Home Depot that works pretty good. It stinks real bad. Its called Deer B gone or Deer away or something like that.

4. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

pee on the corners of your garden. the old man behind me pees in a gallon jug all day and then rides the golf cart around in the evening and pours it out along the edges.

i've also heard that hanging bars of soap around the corners helps. smells too human for them to want to check out or some such

5. brea7347

Does it just stink around the garden area or does it stink up the whole yard? It sounds good, but I wouldn't want to run us out of our own yard! Especially when we fire up the grill!

6. brea7347

Oh my gosh, what a visual that is! Maybe if I were a guy? I just don't think I can go with that one. :-D

Now the soap sounds interesting. Maybe something strong like Irish Spring.

7. roca1216

roca1216 Well-Known Member

DEER B GONE! I heard that works really good and all natural. Listen to Ann Clapp on 680 am on saturday mornings. You will hear alot of people talk about it.

8. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

The problem with repellents is you should have started using it 4 months ago. Before they started marking your property. Deer are territorial and lay down their own stink to claim ground. They've been working your property for months now in preparation for protected spring and summer feeding spots.

Other than a fence or expensive electronic scarecrows you're going to have to share.

9. brea7347

We're not planting until the end of April. If I started it now, you don't think it would have time to work?

10. brea7347

Thanks! I'll try to catch her show on Saturday. What kind of show is it?

11. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I agree with Dangerboy.... peeing in the garden works, tried and true!!! 8)

12. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I only smell it while Im spraying it.

13. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Me too!!! :shock:

14. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Last year I used dog hair gathered up as the dogs shed. Had more than plenty to scatter around through the season.

15. brea7347

:lol:

16. brea7347

Hmmm, no dog here. Would cat hair work?

17. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Can't hurt to try? I don't see how pet hair would work? When I lived in Missouri they would stand in front of our dog pen to eat the scattered cracked corn we fed to the chickens? My dog finally gave up barking at them after a while.

18. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

I keep a deer feeder full of corn in the back. They seem to focus on that and leave most every thing else alone.

19. roca1216

roca1216 Well-Known Member

Its a Garden show. She knows her stuff!

20. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I am going to have the same problem here.

I am going to do pie pans/homemade windchimes for noise, and Irish Spring for scent.