Someone under 30 probably has no clue about...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kent, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Just a few things that came to mind:

Pull chains on the 1 light in the ceiling in the middle of the room. The bedrooms had strings attached to the pull chain with the other end tied to the bed railing! This was my grand-mother's house.

Car head-light dimmer switches on the floorboard.

Drive in movies with the speakers that hung on your window.

Phrase such as:

"Walking like Chester" - if you had a limp
    "Up your nose with a rubber hose!" - Horseshack
    "Good night, John Boy." - Waltons
    "Book'em, Dano. Murder 1." - Steve McGarrett - Hawaii 5-0

Going skinny dipping in a local creek or pond. No chlorinated pools back then, youngsters.

Going to see the Maco Light down in Brunswick County.

Picking up bottles along the side of the road to sell back to the store so you could get a drink & honeybun for a quarter.

Eating at a diner with jukeboxes at each table.

Going to the beach and renting floats.

Playing spin-the-bottle with neighborhood girls.

Buying bootleg firecrackers (Silver Blasts & M-80's) and "serenading" the locals during Christmas and New Years.

"Sticking" car horns with sticks during the same holidays. (This was when the cars had metal cross pieces you pushed to blow the horn.)

2. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Wow, I remember most of those things. Those were the days - Edith and Archie Bunker ; )

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Fly Paper
    Corvair automobiles
    Whites Only water fountains

4. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Michelle: All In The Family was a "must see" back in the day. Radical for the times. Pushed the envelope. Tame by today's "standards".

Hught: had a neighbor that used to hang fly strips over their dinner table! LOL!

I could never eat at their house. No appetite watching all those flies stuck to that strip!

5. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I remember the Dodge Dart my folks had with the dimmer switch on the floor. There's some others that are quickly being forgotten. Think about typewriters, record players, cassette tapes and postage stamps you once had to lick.

6. SunShine26

SunShine26 Well-Known Member

I remember alot of those things you guys mentioned and am only 26 :) Is that good or bad?

7. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

OMGOSH I am soooooo old......but almost all of those things made me smile so big with wonderful memories of being at home with Mom and Dad. And now I miss my mama....nite!

8. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Reminded of the Remington MANUAL typewriter I learned to type on in the 9th grade. Took typing because I looked in class 1 day and nothing but girls were in there!

Later in class, converted to an electric Olivetti! Thought I'd gone from a T-model to a Rolls Royce!

Best course I ever took. Been using it ever since.

Instead of cassettes, which were "state of the art", I had a Mini-8, 8-track tape player in my Mustang with some cool 8 inch Pioneer speakers.

Oh, and if you had a reel-to-reel, man that was considered "up-town"!

9. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Great day! Know all of these well!!

Forgot all about the FM Converters.

We kept our lard stand under the kitchen sink. Made our own during hog-killing time. Cracklins', too!

Just for fun, I asked about some pork brains the other day at Lowes Foods and they looked at me like I was crazy!

Mama smoked Chesterfields. Daddy smoked Pall Malls. Grandpa smoked Camels. All unfiltered.

10. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

now all those i remember, some of Kent's i was clueless about

11. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Old dial phones...

12. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

as much as i love the show, and as much as i remember watching it whether i was at home or at my grandparents, i don't think that show would ever get on network tv in 2010. no way people would put up with it. it would have to be an HBO series or something....

i bet people under thirty don't remember when EVERYBODY wasn't sitting around just waiting to be offended by EVERYTHING.

13. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

3 tv channels. State of the Union on all 3. Then came 22, 28, and 40. Adjusting the UHF/VHF knob on the tv "furniture box". When tv was FUBARed, you called Harold in Smithfield to come to the house. He generally made clean connections, installed a new arial, or adjusted RGB and contrast.

14. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I still laugh when I see some of those "all in the family" episodes. Ya they could never bring it back. Too many Darn PC people out there. They wouldn't get the joke. They wouldn't understand we are laughing at Archie not with Archie.

One episode that sticks out is when Sammy Davis Jr was on and Archie was going to have his picture taken with Sammy and Sammy turned around and planted a big ole wet one on Archie.

15. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

I remember the Sammy Davis Jr. episode well! Ol' Arch about died when Sammy planted his kiss.

And I agree, All in the Family would not be allowed on TV today no more than Amos -n- Andy.

16. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

How 'bout 'three-on-the-tree', pop tops and leisure suits (my dad's was denim!)? Go crazy!

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

18. Rockyv58

I remember having our milk delivered and set out in a box on our porch. Bout ten years ago I bought one of those boxes to put out on my porch as decoration but never did cause I didn't want it stolen or rusted. I've kept it safely packed away for one day.

I also remember having the Charles Chips guy come by and sell us the chips in the big tins and collect up the tins we were done with

19. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Pong
    Narrow plastic skateboards
    MTV playing music videos

20. Rockyv58

Archie Bunker Meets Sammy Davis

I found the clip. I had to watch it again: It still makes me laugh. Its such a shame that both Carroll O'Connor and Sammy Davis Jr. have passed away. Both of them were very talented men and kids today will never know either of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_UBgkFHm8o