Cleaning hardwood floors

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by cathy0517, Mar 7, 2010.

1. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

OK, spring cleaning is in the air and my floors need a really good cleaning. Those of you that have hardwood floors what works best for you?

2. 4ME2KNOW

4ME2KNOW Well-Known Member

Merry Maids was one of my first jobs many moons ago and we always used shoulder vac to get all the dirt up first and then used a bucket with 1 gallon warm water with half a cup to a cup of vinegar.

We were told to only get the rag damp and not soaking wet AND we had to wash all floors on our knees! Which I still do today because that the only way I think floors get really clean.

Always wash the floors going along with the grain...not against it. That's what we were always told!

Good Luck!

3. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Funny, I only wash my floors on my hands and knees also. Elbow grease is always the best answer.

4. Ro

Ro Well-Known Member

Vinegar and water, the way to go. Another hands and knees person!

5. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Hands and knees is great because you can get in all the cracks and tight spaces and I like to wash the wood molding and some of the wall while I am at it.

6. cathy0517

Thanks all, hands & knees it is!

7. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

8. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

aholes and elbows

9. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

OK, so tell us how did your hardwood floors turn out? What did you use? Did it work good? How is your back from being on your hands and knees? :)

10. cathy0517

I'm still in the "planning" stage! I'm planning how to convince my husband that he should be the one to do it. :)

11. Crysta

Crysta Guest

We have hardwood floors throughout most of our house. After trying just about every cleaning product out there, including a steam mop (which I love for the kitchen tile), I recommend Bruce hardwood floor cleaner. You can buy it at Lowes (home improvement, not grocery store) in the hardwood floor aisle (not with the cleaning products). It leaves my floors looking awesome and gives them the perfect finish (not slippery, but not sticky, and if you run in socks you can still slide a few feet). My neighbors' husbands have even noticed how great they look (and that they have just the right amount of slide-ability). The stuff is the best, in my opinion.

12. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Think I will try Bruce's Hardwood Floor cleaner, on my hands and knees!