Unaccompanied Minor

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by tatertot36, Mar 16, 2010.

1. tatertot36

tatertot36 Well-Known Member

I am looking at the possibility of sending my boys (8 and 10) to visit my parents for a week. They will be going separately - one in June and one in July. I have considered sending them by plane as unaccompanied minors. They would have to change planes and have a layover of about an hour each way. Any thoughts from personal experiences? Would you be comfortable sending your child this way?

Karen

2. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

The airlines assign a person to travel with the minors, sort of like a big brother or sister so each one will have a person with them the entire time.

3. granola acres mayor

granola acres mayor Well-Known Member

Karen,
    when my kids where that age i had to send them to see there dad in another state, the airline provides a sitter (per say) to accompanie them through thereflight and layovers and changing of planes, it was a minimal cost for the comfort i was givin. the where a badge that links them to the attendant, the first time i did thid i was still very concerned. when they arrived to there destination, I calles the 9yr old to see how it worked for her, she said "Mom they wouldnt even let me pee without xomeone at the other side of the door". so a month later i sent the 8 tr old boy with much confidence. hope this helps.
    GAM

4. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

I flew by myself around that age and it wasn't a big deal. Depends a lot on your child's personality. If they are normally anxious, etc. would be things to consider in terms of how they may be comfortable with it, but if they don't mind the idea it will be fine.

5. Rush1

Rush1 Banned

Soul Plane?

6. VolleyGrl

How did you know?

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Check the airline rules, some airlines now only allow unaccompanied minors to take Direct Flights (no layovers, as a result of some children being sent to the wrong city a few years ago).

8. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Check w/ airlines now b/c some are not letting kids go unaccompanied under the age of 15! I was shocked too when I checked into it. May have changed though since rules change all the time. Good luck though.

Stephanie--mom to 7

9. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

The airlines aren't any better to unaccompanied minors (UM) than they are adults. If you've flown at all lately, you know what that means.

Along with what Hugh & Stephanie already said, airline personnel have been known to leave the UM on their own...even after you cough up the extra $$ for them to keep an eye out. They don't have anyone travel with them the whole trip any more.

10. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

Mine use to make trips to go see their bio father a couple of times or to go see their grandparents. We always made sure it was a direct flight and the people at reservations would help with that. My kids always sat toward the front to where they could be seen. I had to sign them into the care of the flight attendents and then sign when they were picked up and had to show ID both times. Now things might have changed since then. Best advice is to call and talk to the airlines.

11. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Hmmm... would I let someone I had never met before care for my 8 and almost 10 year old????

NO!!!

12. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

They're sitting on a plane, surrounded by other staff and passengers. What do you think is going to happen?

13. crunchymom

crunchymom Well-Known Member

I've lived in NC since I was 10, with my dad in CA, so I would fly back and forth often on my own. Until I was about 14ish, I was assigned to a flight attendant, who made sure I got on the plane before other passengers, and made it to my connecting flight. I never had any issues.

14. plane crash, what about being in the airport before and after flight,, you're entrusting a complete stranger with your child, have these so called airline workers been screened to know they aren't closet pedophiles prior to turning your precious kids to an airlines.

you being as smart as you're perceived should know better than to ask that.

15. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Oh dear God. I have also flown as a child and my son has flown, for 50.00 they didn't leave his side. That plane would crash with or without me on it with him. They are also never alone with them like that.

16. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

Nope, I let my daughter fly up last year to her grandfathers in MI, and the terms I had were that he had to fly with her if she were to go up..he did it too. He also agreed with me with kids getting on planes and ending up in other cities..so I told him when she reached the age of 10 she would not fly with someone I didn't know. This was her first time going some where with out me for that period of time and she did wonderful and had a great time and never cried to come home..but this is my child and how I knew she would handled it. It may be different for you and your kids. You do what you think is best for you and the kids. I wouldn't worry so much about what others think you should do. No one knows them like you do.

This year my daughter is not going up there, they are coming down here for a week, so I don't have to worry about it this year, but if they ask next year she will be 11 then and I have no problem with it.
    Sheri

17. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I never did it, but I've seen it done several times and I know several people who have done it. The airlines seem to make it very easy and they do a good job with the kids.
    That being said, I would have a hard time doing it with my kids.

One of the saddest things I've ever seen was at an airport. A Dad was putting his little boy on a plane. The boy might have been 4 years old or so. He had a little back pack that looked like a teddy bear, it was really cute. Anyway, it was the end of a summer visit and the boy was going back home to mom. The Dad and boy were both in tears. I was going through my separation at the time and it really tore me up. I am so glad my Ex and I still live in the same community.

18. VolleyGrl

wow. way to make me totally depressed this morning. :cry:

19. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Karen, what airline are you looking at and to where?

20. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

tatertot worte:
    A lot can happen in an hour whether it be by poor supervision, etc....