Unaccompanied Minor

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by tatertot36, Mar 16, 2010.

1. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

Let’s think this through. This all would be on the assumption that they are not supervised properly like you think is likely to happen. The boys are going to be together so the chances of someone walking off with both of them without some sort of scene is slim to none. They will stay together and make sure that nobody tries to separate them. In other words, they will never leave each other’s side. On the off chance that they get separated from their assigned adult I’m sure they will have had safety rules discussed with them and will know to go to the nearest airline employee and explain that they got separated. A parent is not going to do this without reviewing what to do in an emergency etc. so that they are well prepared. And I could see more of a concern with just one child, but in this case the buddy system is great. If I missed something that might happen in an hour let me know.

2. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Yup, and you can bet your bottom dollar that the airline personnel will NOT stay with them the entire time, regardless of what they "promise". They simply don't maintain the proper staff levels to handle watching every (or any) unaccompanied minor.

3. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

One boy is going in June and the other in July!! So, I would say NO!! NO!! not in a million to zero chance!! The grandparent want time with them they would have two choices!! 1. Come visit with them here 2. Come and fly both ways with each child If neither of these are possible then they do not see them this summer!! No way would I allow an 8 and 10 year old kid go without a family member. I mean kids are not safe playing in their own yards in todays world. Be real parents!! Not until they are older!! NO! NO!! NO!! Most children of this age would not know what to do if they were put in an emergency situation!! If you have to ask, you apparently have your doubts!! Listen to the little voice in your head that is telling you NO!! Pat

4. VolleyGrl

At 10 I most certainly knew what to do in an emergency and I will make sure my son does as well at that age so I call BS on that generalization. I say send them together, if possible.

5. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

The kids are given lanyards with large plastic envelopes on them containing their tickets and signifying their unaccompaied minor status. The kids are all kept together in a group, and stay with the staff person assigned to them. They enter the plane together before all other passengers, and exit together. On the plane they are all seated together, with the chaperone, and given a tour of the cockpit and some clip on wings. My son has flown multiple times alone, with a chaperone, and he was never allowed to leave the group - despite being 14YO and not wanting to be babied. Upon arrival, you do not get to pick up the kid until you produce ID, and then you sign for them - like a package.

If there is a layover, or major plane change they generally get to ride a cart to that gate and/or are kept in a seperate room and not even out on the floor of the airport. I haven't seen any news stories of kids not being properly supervised on an airline, but I sure do see them with bus drivers, daycares, and band instructors. lol

6. VolleyGrl

I actually researched this for a second the other day and there have been a few cases, but when you look at the number of kids that fly every year compared to the number of incidents the chances of something happening are slim to none. Like you said, there are a TON of other situations where a child is more likely to be hurt, lost, etc. than traveling on an airplane by themselves.

7. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Yeah, nothing like the other instances that pop up on WRAL monthly.

8. VolleyGrl

eh, I don't get it. but then again I was a badass when I was 10 :lol:

9. or very homely looking