145th Anniversary of the Battle of Bentonville

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Cleopatra, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

The Bentonville Battlefield State Historic Site will conduct a Re-Enactment of the 145th Anniversary of the Battle of Bentonville on Saturday, March 20th - Sunday, March 21st. For ticket prices and more information, call 910-594-0789. The site is located on Devil's Racetrack Road out of Four Oaks.

2. Cleopatra

3. ECAVE

ECAVE Well-Known Member

Looks like we'll be going.
    Weather will be great too!

4. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

They expect 50K people. Is it possible to get there and actually enjoy it?
    I've been there....I dont know where they will park and I sure hope they have porta pottys.

5. ECAVE

ECAVE Well-Known Member

I have been before and we enjoyed it. We don't mind the crowds too much though.
    There are a couple fields close to the site where they park cars. It has been a few years since I have been but it seemed to flow pretty well. I arrive before lunch. We will probably be there about 9 am.

6. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I've been to the Gettysburg reenactment several times but never to this one. I guess I should check it out.

7. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

I've been several times, but it has been many years since I have been. Used to go and help out when I was in the Boy Scouts.

8. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Went yesterday and was disappointed ... there were SO many people we could barely seen anything during the battle :(

9. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I went 5 years ago. It was packed then also. I liked it though. Wanted to go again but need to hold back on spending since I am on the public roles right now. Hopefully will get to go again 5 years from now

10. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

That's the way it was when we went the last time they had the full blown reenactment. So many people the only thing you can see is the calvary divisons and then that is difficult at times. You hear more of what is going on than actually seeing it. I have an appreciation for battle sites, but actually prefer them with few people around because it allows my imagination to 'picture' what it was probably like.

I also like the little known places here and there. A good example is Seven Springs in southern Wayne County. Its the oldest town in Wayne County and was a trading outpost in the 1700s. It was called Whitehall up until the turn of the 20th century when it became known for its 'seven springs' of mineral waters that were good for a number of ailments. There was actually one or two resort hotels in this now sleepy little river hamlet. People would travel from several states away. During the Civil War, a battle took place because it was a strategic place for the Confederacy for stores and building the CSS Neuse, a riverboat ironclad, which would later be finished in Kinston downriver. From atop the bluff on the southern side of the town, artillery rained down across the river about a quarter mile away. There is a methodist church on the hill now and you can drive up there and look down upon the town and the river. There are also a couple of markers close to the river. Its a good example of a small little town's impact on the war.

Goldsboro and Smithfield are also good examples. General Sherman occupied Goldsboro for nearly two weeks and as he was heading toward Raleigh, encamped in Smithfield, he made the announcement to his troops that General Lee had surrendered from the courthouse steps. Granted its not the same courthouse there now, but the grounds are the same. Those little historical tidbits I find interesting.

11. turtlepits

turtlepits Well-Known Member

My kids and I really enjoyed it. It was great, all beside the Boy Scott Leader acting like a total butt hole yelling at people to sit down and then he decided to get up to confront some Army personnel that were standing beside me. Thought it was going to get ugly for a minute. If ya wanted to get a good view, you should have gotten there earlier like we did. We could see everything. I don't think they planned for all those people. Maybe someone will donate bleachers for people to sit on......

12. Cleopatra

It was that crowded five years ago. Get there early, or get a tree. lol