So........what do you fix for dinner on weeknights?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kdc1970, Mar 19, 2010.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm looking for some new inspiration around here. I've got tons of cookbooks, but I'm hoping for some real life inspiration for weeknight meals that don't take a bunch of time to fix. What are your family favorites? Crock pot ideas are welcome too. :allears:

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Fudrucker's

3. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

Weeknight lasagna toss. Yum!

4. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

We frequently do breakfast for dinner.
    Pancakes, omelets, grits & eggs, B&E sammiches

Chicken breasts, cover with Cream of Chicken soup, bake in a covered casserole dish.

Grilled Burgers and baked potatoes or side salad

Buffalo Chicken Strips (the big bag at BJ's) and a pot of beans & rice to go with it

Hot Dogs and Baked Beans or Pasta Salad

Grilled Pork Chops and a side salad

Cant wait to see what others post, I am always looking for new, easy, quick dinner ideas too!

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Hught, we used to love Fudruckers...............the one in Raleigh is BAD though, LOL

The rest of the ideas sound good!! Well..........to me anyway. LOL. Got some picky eaters in this house, so it makes it tough to please everybody. Ususally one of the three of us is unhappy with what is on the table, LOL. I detest spaghetti, but it's DS's favorite. :?

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

This is a recipe I've made a few times that is good... a different spin on Pasta. I call it Mexican Chop Suey! ​

1 lb extra-lean (at least 93%) ground beef or ground turkey​

1 jar (16 oz) Muir Glen® organic mild salsa

1 cup Muir Glen® organic tomato sauce (from 15-oz can)

1-1/2 cups water​

2 cups uncooked regular or multigrain elbow macaroni

1 cup Green Giant® Valley Fresh Steamers™ Niblets® frozen corn

1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese (2 oz)

1. In 12-inch skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain.

2. Stir in salsa, tomato sauce and water. Heat to boiling. Stir in macaroni and corn. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until macaroni is tender.​

3. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover; let stand 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.

I can't find Muir Glen products around here, so I use Pace Salsa and Hunts tomato sauce. I also use ground turkey and Barilla Multi-grain elbow macaroni. I think its a nice weeknight change.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  7. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Some quick easy but good weeknight meals -

Linguine with clam sauce

3 small cans clams
    1/4 C olive oil
    salt/pepper (peppercorn medly is best)
    basil, crushed red pepper and garlic to taste (fresh garlic is best, I use one clove - roasted garlic is good too)
    1 lb linguine

Boil water, begin preparing pasta.
    Combine other ingredients (starting with some oil and garlic) saute a bit then add other ingredients, simmer on low while pasta is boiling.

Serve over pasta with parm cheese sprinkled on top with bread or salad. Prep time 20-25 minutes

I made this last night - DELISH and quick!

Tilapia Picatta

one box of Middle Eastern Rice Pilaf (I buy in bulk at BJ's) Prepare rice as directed.

While rice is cooking combine 1/4 C flour with 1/2 t of salt, 1/4 t pepper in shallow bowl. Coat tilapia (3-4 filets) with flour mixture and fry in skillet with 4 T olive oil on med heat, 3-4 minutes per side til golden brown. Set aside (in warm oven) add 1 C chicken broth to skillet, turn to high and boil down to 1/2 C. Meanwhile, add 1 t of cornstarch to 2 T of water, dissolve. When broth is reduced to 1/2 C, turn down heat and add cornstarch/water and whisk around. Then add 2 T lemon juice, 1 T butter, parsley, or whatever seasoning - I like a little bit of thyme.

Serve with a steamed vegetable, prep time for meal 25 minutes.

Tacos in pasta shells

18 dried jumbo pasta shells (manicotti shells are fine too)
    1 T butter
    1 1/4 lb ground beef/turkey
    16 oz jar salsa
    1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
    1 t chili powder
    1 C shredded cheese
    chopped fresh tomatoes (optional)
    sliced pitted black olives (optional)

Cook pasta - drain, toss with butter, brown meat - drain
    Stir cream cheese and chili powder into meat. Divide meat mixture evenly amongst shells. Spread 1/2 C of salsa in 2 qt rectangular baking dish, arrange filled shells, top with remaining salsa. Bake covered in 350 degree oven, sprinkle cheese on top bake uncovered 15 min more, then sprinkle with tomaores/olives and serve with traditional sides; rice or refried beans.

Crunchy ranch fingers, a fave of my kids - super quick/easy

1 C cornflake crumbs 1/2 t salt 1/8 t pepper 1/3 C bottle ranch dressing 1 T water, 3/4 lb skinless/boneless chicken cut into strips or bite size pieces

15x10x1 in baking pan. Spray with nonstick or grease. Combine dressing and water, combine flakes and salt/pepper. Dredge chicken in dressing mixture and coat with flakes place on pan, bake 425 for 12-15 minutes. Serve with whatever. :)

Beef fiesta casserole

1 lb ground beef, browned/drained - salt & pepper to taste
    4 oz cheddar
    1 C sour cram
    2/3 C mayo
    2 t onion, finely chopped
    2 C bisquick with 1/2 C water
    2-3 ripe tomatoes thinly sliced
    3/4 C green pepper thinly sliced
    paprika

Mix bisquick and water, press into greased 9x13 pan with floured fingers. Layer meat, tomato, green peppers. Mix cheese, sour cream, mayo, onion - then spoon mixture on top and sprinkle with paprika. Bake @ 375 for 25-30 minutes

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  8. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Thanx for those recipes. Love some Linguini w/Clam Sauce, will have to try it one night....and for dessert - CHEESECAKE!! :drool:

9. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

This is a dish I've been making for some time now,the recipe is from my sister,it makes a fantastic tasting sauce!

2 cups of heavy cream-bring to a boil,add 1 can chopped tomatoes (drained),3 tbs.tomato paste, 1 tbs.dried herbs such as thyme or just italian dried herbs,season with salt and pepper and let simmer for approx. 10 min.
    Meanwhile wrap slices of porkloin with bacon (just around the sides) and set into casserole dish,pour sauce over it and bake at 350 for 40 min.
    Serve with some italian or french bread and a salad.

10. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I make a mock sesame chicken that is WW friendly when I am on a time crunch. Dip boneless, skinless chicken breast in soy sauce, then coat lightly w/ a mixture of flour, toasted sesame seeds, and pepper (a few Tbsp of flour and 2 Tbsp of seeds, pepper to taste). Place chicken on bakinh sheet, spray with that spray butter stuff. 400 for 20 minutes. Its yum! I do steamed broc and brown rice with it.

11. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

I can feel my arteries clogging and my butt growing! But it sounds delicious...

12. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

:lol:

13. Savealot

Savealot Well-Known Member

Grocery bags hamburgers :)

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

LOL!!! I have a feeling I'm going to get tired of those real quick!! :jester:

15. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Grilled or baked fish or chicken most nights
    mexican chicken lasagne
    hamburgers
    flat iron steak
    grilled chick salad
    italian chick over pasta

16. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

Check your email :)

17. GarnerGirl2000

GarnerGirl2000 Well-Known Member

what kind of chicken and rice recipes do yall have!?!?!?!?!?

18. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

need to break out the receipe list and cook me up another batch of cheesy shrimp and grits

[​IMG]

19. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

just make sure you make extra, i am still waiting to taste your famous shrimp & grits:cheers:

20. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Monday - gym night- quick salad after work. Half before working out and half after.

Tuesday - Dance night - grab a bite at White Swan, Mexican, Chick-Fil-A or the Mule City Grill.

Wednesday - See Monday

Thursday - Meet the girls at Zaxbys, Rockin Comet, Yummy Japan or LaCosina.

Every second Friday - Pizza night - usually Vernero's
    Other Friday - McKinley's, Logan's, Fridays, Mulberry On Main etc

Saturday - Long Island Express for lunch, somewhere decent for supper.

Sunday - grill out or some other home cooked meal.