Residential Propane Company Recommendations

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Breezy18, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Breezy18

Breezy18 Well-Known Member

We are "firing" **** as our propane supplier. We have had continuous problems and are having the tank removed.

I know I can depend on my 4042 peeps to give me their opinions and recommendations. PLEASE tell me who you use and your experiences!! Thanks!!

2. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

We use MacCracken Propane. We have had nothing but excellent service. They came to activate gas logs when we moved in. They were very helpful and informative since I had no clue how to operate the system. They have also been good about paying my bill in portions instead of all up front.

3. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

We had McCracken Propane when we moved into our house. Their tank was on the property when we purchased the home. We only used propane gas for 1 gas log fireplace. It wasn't long past the second winter that I found out we were paying almost 30 cents a gallon more for propane than our neighbor. I called and inquired why, and was told that they used it for house heating and I ONLY used it for a fireplace, my heat is electric. I let that go, because truly we didn't hardly need a fill-up more than once a year. Therein was yet another surprise to me, because we didn't use more than 1 tank full a year, we were hit with a $60 tank rental fee. SO not only are they charging me more per gallon, BUT a tank rental too! I still didn't want to go through the hassle of swapping out the tank and finding a new company.... the straw that finally made me tell them to come and get it was when they were so considerate as to come and fill my tank for me in MAY! Hello... they already know I only need the propane for gas logs... They could have waited until the fall instead of sticking me with an unnecessary $400 fuel bill in April.

I was so peeved with the whole thing that we took out the gas logs and put in an electric fireplace insert that I love. It throws heat when I want, on high or low. Or no heat at all, just flames for looks. It can run on my generator if we lose power, and it costs a heck or alot less to run! The electric insert cost me just a tad more than 1 fill-up of the propane tank and came fro Lowes Home.

4. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

We got tired of paying the fees several years ago and paying extra per gallon so we went to Lowe's and purchased our own tank and when we need gas, we throw it on the back of the truck and run down to DR Wells where they fill it for us - well maybe i should say DH throws it on the back of the truck. Anyway we love it this way, only buy what we need and no rental fees or fees for not getting it filled enough.

5. Breezy18

Heat house with the tank

I forgot to mention that we heat our house as well as use it for the gas logs. We have a very large tank, and cannot 'carry' it to get if filled up. A gas truck would have to come and fill it at our residence.

So far Maccracken is a yes and a no.

We live in Benson as well...Please keep the comments/suggestions coming. We do not want to be in the same situation we just got out of with a different company. There should be a mandate on what they can charge. I was being charged over a dollar more than two people I knew!!

6. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

We have Amerigas, we use it for heating, the dryer, stove, and gas logs (and its in the ground) have not had a problem w/ them. I am on the monthly payment plan so I don't get hit w/ a huge bill when they come to fill up, which is only about twice a yr.

7. Breezy18

How can one company charge much much more

Okay, I have discovered after calling around to different propane dealers just how much we were being overcharged!! More than a dollar per gallon. Our gas company (who is now NO LONGER!!) charged us $3.22 per gallon and pumped our tank full (118 gallons worth) last Thursday March 19!! OUCH!

I have called several companies and no one has come near that high price!! Is there somewhere to complain to with the state or federal government?? Seems like a utilities commission should be aware. Seems like price gouging for one company to be such a big difference per gallon!! Any and all help from you fine, intelligent people would be appreciated!! :)

8. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

Breezy, it may just be the fluctuation of oil prices and the day you called for a quote. With us, we use Amerigas and we can call one week and the price will be $2.39/gal. and then almost double that in another. Hubby called about 3 weeks ago before the cold snap because we are running low and Amerigas wanted $3.69/gal-to which we promptly told them we could do without. If there is a cold snap or the gas prices are heading up, propane will too. The woman actually told my husband they had raised their price because the cold snap was coming!!! We usually try to wait until about August to have ours filled and Amerigas always quotes us about $2.39 then. We have a 100gal tank so with just one set of logs, that gets us through a winter, though this year was close with all the snow! We've shut ours off already for the year.

9. Breezy18

Thanks! We have shut ours off as well!! They came to fill it up on the same day our neighbors had theirs filled. They have a different gas company and was $1 less a gallon. It has always been $3.22 and they filled it up several times already!! I know they fluctuate just like gas for your car...but a whole $1 is not right!!! I am done with them so that is quite alright. They can continue to cheat some other poor soul (and we are now poor!!)( LOL! Thanks for your opinion!

10. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

Oops, I missed the part about it being filled the same day. I agree, a $1/gal really adds up! I have to admit a naughty word slipped my mouth when we were quoted 3.69 and are used to 2.39, which makes us poor enough, lol.

I would just use the same company as your neighbor if you like their price. We have been pleased with Amerigas-at least when we get the 2.39 price:lol: We just usually call them all summer til it gets that low. Either way, good luck to you!

11. Breezy18

Neighbors company...or another

We are deciding between that company and another. We will discuss tonight and I will let anyone know if they may be interested. I will be glad to pass on the company NOT to use if you will PM me. I just did not want to place it in a post.

12. go ahead post it, let the truth set you free

13. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Probably same stupid company I use

14. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

or the same stupid company i quit using

15. Crysta

Crysta Guest

For whomever you choose, find out if any of your neighbors use the same company. If they do, before you fill up each time, talk to your neighbors and find out what they recently paid. Our neighbors do this and then they are able to negotiate with their providers to get better rates.

We went the route of getting our own 100# tank and filling it ourselves. But we only use it for our two fireplaces (and sometimes for the gas grill), so we usually only need one tank per year.

16. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

I recommend Ethco Oil out of Kenly

17. gracey1314

gracey1314 Well-Known Member

us too. well maybe i should say my daddy throws it on the back of his truck :)

18. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

I've used Jenkins Gas from Princeton for four years with no issues.

I fill up twice/year on average.

19. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

I used Parker's for many years with no problems.

20. Breezy18

Starts with "F" and ends with "L" ...It rhymes with the word Barrel...I am sure it is the same company we are talking about!!