Strawberries

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DMJmom, Mar 23, 2010.

1. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

So.......when can we start pickin strawberries? I don't eat them myself, but everyone else around here does, and the kids want to go pick some. I'm hoping it's before Easter, so we can have some with the family coming into town.

2. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I don't think you'll find anything local by Easter. The Strawberry Festival is April 24 - so probably around then is when they'll be in season. :)

3. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Bummer. I was thinking it was usually the beginning of April. I remember last year's strawberry festival, I only saw one booth with strawberries! I was wondering at that time why it was even called that. :lol: This year I won't be able to see it, since I'll be working it all day. Hoping to see a lot of friends to help me pass the time!

4. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

check out Smith Nursery's website, i may be wrong but i got an email a while back saying when they would be available and i am thinking it was first of April.

5. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

The strawberries may be in aftre Easter

I would call Smith's ( 919-934-1700)and see for the exact dates. They may be able to get you some before then. I think last year some Strawberries from Castle Hayne were in before easter

http://www.smiths-nursery.com/

6. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

On their facebook page, it says they're having a free Easter egg hunt on Saturday, 4/3.

P.S.: Sorry for the thread hijack. ;)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  7. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

Cannot wait -- I've got requests for my strawberry jam already; I saw my rhubarb plants popping up this past weekend so I'm hoping to get enough to make strawberry rhubarb jam.

8. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

I believe they only have one vendor (Porter's the few times I have been) because they are one of the major sponsors of the festival. I'd bet that that's part of the contract, no other strawberry vendors. :) Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

9. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Lucky you! I wish I had some rhubarb,I love to make rhubarb cake and rhubarb crisp but I never had any luck with it in the garden.

10. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

i love rhubarb! It used to grow wild in the yard where I grew up in Massachusetts. My mom makes awesome rhubarb crisp! depending what else is in season it could be rhubarb-strawberry, rhubarb-peach, rhubarb rasberry.... all yummy! But I used to love to just eat it raw, dipped in a bit of sugar! Making my cheeks pucker just thinking about it!! :mrgreen:

11. AnnetteL

:) That's how we used to it in Germany too,raw sprinkled with sugar and I remember that you weren't supposed to eat it anymore after it flowered since it will turn poisonous somehow. The leaves there would get humongous...

12. claytonian

claytonian Well-Known Member

I'm so hoping I actually have luck with it. I brought these down from NY last summer after visiting a friend who wanted to get rid of the plant. I never thought I would get them to last through the summer but so far so good.

13. AnnetteL

A friend of mine has some too,it will probably do best on the northern side of your yard.

14. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Strawberry Update!!!!

Just heard from Smith's and they are expecting the Strawberries to be ready on April 10th. They are also planning on being at the Strawberry Festival as they have been every year since the first one.

Come on now.........Hurry Up April 10th as it has been a long winter.

15. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Hijack....when do I plant my tomato plants in my topsy turvey (sp) thing? We only got a couple of tomatoes last year.

Sherry

16. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

If you are going to leave the topsy turvey inside on nights like tonight then you can plant now. If you are going to leave it outside then plant it mid to late April. You can plant tomato plants as late as July.

You can always start the seeds indoors and then plant it outside later.

17. redtangsoo

redtangsoo Well-Known Member

Rhubarb ,I have to find the picture of my wife next to giant rhubard leaves in Scotland!:hurray:

18. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Any updates on the strawberry picking? I have a little girl coming over this weekend who wants to go, and so do my kids.

Redtang - my boys enjoyed watching you guys play cornhole the other night at the Clubhouse. 8)

19. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

20. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Just wanted to pass this along...I emailed Smith's today and they replied back that they have strawberries for sale now, but they won't be ready for picking for about another week. So guess we're not going this weekend...