Easter Egg Hunts?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Mar 30, 2010.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Are there any Easter egg hunts this weekend? I know there were some last weekend....but we missed them...

2. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

3. nsanemom22

4. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Thanks Nsane, I had forgotten about that.

Parents - do you do an Easter Egg hunt at home in addition to something like this? Or is your Easter Sunday more religiously significant? Do you hide the plastic eggs with *more* candy in them, or do you hide the ones you decorated the night before? Do you decorate eggs? And how do you explain to your kids, why an Easter Bunny would want to come and hide the egss that you just spent a messy hour the night before decorating? My son never bought that, and inevitibly there was always one that could not be found - so I told him it was the Easter Bunny's favorite - so he kept it. Then, I had to keep up the lie by getting to the last egg before he did on years when he was esp good at egg hunting.

Something else I have been wondering... how does the whole Bunny, eggs, candy, toys & presents thing come into play? What does that have to do with Jesus?

5. nsanemom22

there is another ...4th one down

6. JenniferK

EASTER EGG HUNT

Friday, April 2 (Good Friday)
    10:30am
    Ages 5 & under
    Clayton Community Park (1075 Amelia Church Road)
    The Easter Bunny will arrive by fire truck. Over 6,000 eggs will be hidden. Special prizes will be awarded. Parking is limited

Hmm, this sounds like it might be doable....

7. JenniferK

Saturday April 3 2010
    Easter Egg Hunt
    Bring your children to Smith's Nursery for an Easter Egg Hunt. Visit website at www.upickberries.com for directions and more information. Event time: 2pm.
    Smith's Nursery and Strawberry Farm, McGee's Crossroads.
    443 Sanders Rd.
    Benson, NC 27504
    Admission: Free.
    Phone: Sarah Smith, 919 934-1700

And shoot, we can probably fit this one in too! LOL

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

We used to do Easter Egg hunts year round, towards the end Grandma forgot where the restroom was.

9. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

There's one at Elizabeth Church on Saturday, 4/3, from 3:00 until 5:00 p.m. for toddlers to age 12. Prizes for all participants. Refreshments.

10. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

Guess I was deprived as a child. ;) The Easter Bunny never actually hid anything....just left a basket of goodies. The hiding was completely separate, we knew it was adults or older kids doing it, and was always with those awful sugar rock pastel eggs. I thought they used to come not-individually wrapped even, but my memory could have failed me there. I didn't even know they sold them anymore, but sure enough when we went to Grandma's for early Easter last weekend, she had a bag full to hide for my boys. I tried one...just to see...tasted worse than I remembered it. Of course there's no real evidence it wasn't a bag leftover from 1982.

11. ws

ws Well-Known Member

I would go to the one at Smith's Nursery over the Town of Clayton one. It was a mad house last year and my daughter got one egg after being almost trampled by some grown ups grabbing eggs.

12. Cleopatra

That happened to me at Clayton one year, but the girls are older/bigger now so... BRING IT!!!

Actually, it was kind of sad seeing the parents get so caught up when their 8 MO could have really cared less. I see the same thing at Halloween.

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

We went to the Clayton one once when DS was small, probably the first year we moved here. I was really shocked at how some folks acted and we never went back.

14. ask Santa

15. bystander

bystander Well-Known Member

I prefer the Easter Egg "hunts" to the Easter Egg "pick up" that seems to be so popular these days. That is how it is at the Clayton park mentioned and that is how it was last weekend at the Mudcat's stadium. Just a field full of eggs thrown down in plain view and a thousand kids trying race each other to them. My son was not assertive enough last weekend and came away with 3 eggs - much to his dismay.
    Give me an old fashioned "hidden eggs" hunt any day!

16. Cleopatra

That's my point. I scaled back the Easter Basket when my son made a list for the Easter Bunny one year. Now I just do some candy, some Dollar Tree stuff, and maybe a 5.00 DVD.

17. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

Jen - Don't waste your time with this one. All of the "prizes" are either hard candy or plastic cheap (throwaway) toys. Seriously.... we didn't keep but MAYBE 10 items from the eggs. SORRY stuff even for free. :lol:

18. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

Sounds like your kid's just organized. :) And schools make such a big deal out of things lately it seems like...like leprechauns. So maybe the kids just follow suit. I have yet to take down the "No leprechauns allowed" signs from the windows and entry doors of our house. And they definitely give them candy more than I think is really appropriate. I understand little rewards, but I don't remember getting candy when I was in school, and I turned out just fine. What about an extra 5 minutes of recess or free time or something? So the Easter Bunny and Santa have cut back lately on the candy at our house in favor of tiny toys or coloring pages or treasure hunts to help counteract school and 3 grandparents loading them up with sugar. Anyway, I'm not complaining. Our teachers and school do a great job. Just free thought at work...my brain must be on vacation a day or so early!

19. Cleopatra

It wasn't big ticket items that I was giving him, but maybe a newly released DVD and some Army men. Now with 3 kids, yeah.... five dollar DVD. lol

I agree on the candy. The elem school asked for candy filled plastic eggs for a hunt today. I sent in eggs filled with stickers and small plastic animals instead. :lol:

20. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

Oriental Trading had some Easter finger puppets and stampers that went into my kindergartener's eggs. I think I'll loan the rest of them to the Easter Bunny in case he needs them for any baskets. ;)