Angel Food Ministry

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by GarnerGirl2000, Mar 25, 2010.

1. GarnerGirl2000

GarnerGirl2000 Well-Known Member

So I have a friend that I was talking to this weekend about her becoming a stay at home mom and the cutbacks that her family would be facing for her to do so. She was telling me that one thing that she had discovered was the Angel Food Ministry. I know that its not a "hand out" you have to pay for the food items that they provide you but do you think this is wrong to use this service? I Googled their website and it says that there is no restrictions, minimum income amount for the users. Just wanted to know what the 40/42 thoughts were :) and if you have used this service what you thought as well. If you dont wanna post here feel free to pm me!

2. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

We used to always buy from Angel Food, don't really know why we stopped, it was a good deal, no complaints on the food.

3. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

We used to use Angel Food quite frequently. Was a great deal and the food was fine. With our size family though, we had to find another way to cut back. And, we have quite a bit. Angel Food is a great service and there are no income requirements which is wonderful. We loved it when we used it. Now, there are many places that do it that don't even show up on their list of locations. Good luck to her.

stephanie--mom to 7

4. H3xKing

H3xKing Well-Known Member

How does a "Non-Profit" organization, that takes advantage of the volunteer labor supplied by its "distribution" centers, turn a PROFIT of over $20 million in a year?

5. crunchymom

crunchymom Well-Known Member

Why would it "be wrong" to use their services if everyone is eligible and you have to pay to use it? Besides, their FAQs page states that they encourage everyone to participate, so that even those who are more well off can help by donating their savings to charity, or helping others.

6. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

yeah......6,000,000 families a year they help with lower prices.....and have a profit of a less than $3.50 per family.......yeah, they're out to rip you off apparently.........

Even non-profits are advised to have at least 6 months of revenues in the bank.

7. H3xKing

so if it is turning a profit of over 20 mil each year, why doesn't it lower its prices and help the 6 million even more?

People who start "charities" for profit are BEASTS!!! They are the reason that people tighten the purse strings when real charities come knocking. They use the guise of religion to dupe the masses into falling into their schemes.

Not to mention the extra-curricular activity...

8. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

I don't have a dog in the fight, but I think I see where RC is coming from. You have to have some money in the bank to replenish supplies. Don't know anything about Angel Foods finances, but I don't think having $20 million in the bank to help 6 million is outrageous. If they are providing a good product and good prices, who really cares? Now if they are paying for the extra-curricular activities with the monies, that is something completely different.

BTW, good to see you back RC. Thank you for your service.

9. H3xKing

The 20 million is not a "onetime" in the bank sum. It is a YEARLY PROFIT, meaning they have an excess of 20-30 million EACH year that the company is taking in. Assets are not considered profit, unless you sell them for a net gain.

If it were just a single sum in the bank, it could be considered as a 6 month operating capital buffer.

10. RealityCheck

But wouldn't it be natural to make a minimal profit...in this case less than $3.50 per family...so that improvements could be made to the program? I'm not familiar with the program either other than knowing it seems to be a pretty good deal on the groceries....so please don't take my post as just trying to argue. I would think that a six month capital buffer in their case would be much more than $20 million.....but willing to learn if you know more about the organization.....I just know several have told me the prices and food quality was outstanding.

Thanks SR......ain't no place like home. Hope your back from your big adventure soon also.

11. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

12. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Is it good cheap food? Then buy it.

Don't like their practices? Go pay three times as much at Lowe's Foods.

Another example of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

13. RealityCheck

14. H3xKing

The excessive salaries, benefits, and baseless family loans are the more ethical of the questionable activities performed.

FYI The salaries and benefits were not rumors.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  15. RealityCheck

I'm sorry if it seemed I was doubting the salaries and benefits....just didn't know and was why I was asking....thanks

16. H3xKing

didn't mean to sound harsh, it seemed like you had genuine pause at the salaries and I was just informing you that unlike what pirate stated, the salaries were not rumors.

I tend to get a little bent when people use the guise of religion and charities to hide their greed and corruption.

17. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

Makes you think sometimes that can't trust any of 'em. Knowing where RC's been the last few months, bet he could write a book on questionable do-gooders.

You definitely have to root for karma sometimes.